walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis on a winterly day in autumn

Ben Nevis on a winterly day in autumn

Postby Grisu » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:26 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 25/10/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1352m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a difference compared to my summer experience (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=94297)! We were only a small group this time and it was an unpleasant day with a lot of rain.
IMG_0726php690.jpg
group in full gear

IMG_0727php690.jpg
somehow pathetic

During the last part up the ZigZag it became very stormy and at the summit it was icy cold, only very few walkers, far away from being busy.
IMG_0729php690.jpg
no views from the summit this time

I was wearing my new paramo fleece for the first time, it was very much recommended, but I was soaked from within when we have reached the summit, very nasty. I actually changed clothes in the shelter of the observatory, otherwise I would have become an icecube, I think :roll: I never wore it again and one day I dropped it into a charity bin.
Meanwhile the storm has gathered speed and when we started the descend we were struggling a lot against the sudden gusts to keep steady more or less. At some places we hardly knew how to do the next step without getting gone with the wind.
Howsoever we all got back in one piece and nobody got lost. :wink:
IMG_0732php690.jpg
further down the stormy wind has ceased

Eventually it stopped raining and the sky cleared up a bit so that we could enjoy some autumnal views on our way back. :D
IMG_0730php690.jpg
no views to the Cullins of the Isles this time

IMG_0731php690.jpg
clear view now down the valley, nice colours

It was another interesting experience and well worth to remember the uncontrollable forces of nature :!: :shock:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Ben Nevis on a winterly day in autumn

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:57 am

"I was wearing my new paramo fleece for the first time, it was very much recommended, but I was soaked from within when we have reached the summit, very nasty. I actually changed clothes in the shelter of the observatory, otherwise I would have become an icecube, I think :roll:"

This is very interesting. I am a huge Paramo fan. But, my son had exactly the same experience on Tryfan - see https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=58567.

The coat was my wife's, and she had used it for years, always saying it wasn't very good, but refusing to buy a new one because it had been so expensive!

After my son's experience I insisted she buy a new one!

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:95   Corbetts:10
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Hewitts:148
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Ben Nevis on a winterly day in autumn

Postby Grisu » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:25 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:"I was wearing my new paramo fleece for the first time, it was very much recommended, but I was soaked from within when we have reached the summit, very nasty. I actually changed clothes in the shelter of the observatory, otherwise I would have become an icecube, I think :roll:"

This is very interesting. I am a huge Paramo fan. But, my son had exactly the same experience on Tryfan - see https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=58567.

The coat was my wife's, and she had used it for years, always saying it wasn't very good, but refusing to buy a new one because it had been so expensive!

After my son's experience I insisted she buy a new one!

tim

Hi Tim,
I've read the report - your children were very brave, and cute pics :D !
ref paramo: I have the Alta II Jacket and the waterproof trousers. They both serve the purpose in cold and rainy conditions but I am not sure whether I will buy this jacket again. The material is very cold. It keeps the body warm, but only as long as I keep going. Thererfore the paramo gilet saved me many times from getting too cold during breaks with groups. And this is the only paramo peace I wouldn't like to miss.
For the other layers I use a mixture of different shirts and I really like merino shirts, even when I am sweating. I never got cold because the material keeps warm even when it is wet. The only problem with the very thin shirts is that they get little holes sometimes when the end of the stitches are too short so they get loose ...
Cheers
Anke
Grisu
Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland