walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby pruney84 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 29/01/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 741m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left bright and early with my dad at 7 raring to go for the first Munro of the year hopefully.

Decided to go for Ben Chonzie as it has fairly gentle slopes and as i don't have crampons etc there was no point in going anywhere steep. And we could always turn back if it was to icy or dangerous at Chonzie. However Far we would get would be a bonus as i was expecting it to be at least April before i got any munro's this year.

We arrived at 10 and there was already 3 other cars there so looked good. It was fairly clear around although the sky was gray in parts. We set of on the track and made fairly quick progress. As Chonzie came into site it's summit was definitely hanging in the clouds, but the views behind us over to Ben Vorlich and the surrounding hills were really opening up as we gained height.

We stopped for a tea break and then continued up the track till we got to the cairn which most route maps advise you turn up. We decided to follow the books and turn here although off the track it was steeper and we were having to cross solid snow which was tricky but we made it. On the way up this steeper bit we met a guy coming down who told us he headed up past the cairn on his way up and the going was alot easier so at least we had a safer route down planned. Coming back the same way would without doubt have ended up with us on our backside sliding at speed!!!

Once up onto the large flat summit it was a good walk in to the highest point although being in the cloud and frost it was very eerie. We seen a few mountain hares with their winter coats on before we reached the summit :D. We Didnt hang around long before heading back down and as usual the clouds were clearing as we hadn't long left. I don't think they cleared enough to get any decent views anyway but we'll never know.

Back out of the clouds we stopped for lunch and the descent route we chose was much safer. Made it back to the car at 2 o clock after what for me was an enjoyable day. I know alot of people knock this hill and say it's boring but i really enjoyed my day on it, maybe it's because ive not done many or maybe it was the snow parts that livened it up but all in all it was a good day and i'm chuffed to have reached a handful on munro's!!! :D Getting There ever so slowly :lol:

Sorry for the lack of photo's, forgot my camera (Schoolboy Error!!!!) and my phone camera is pretty crap

ben chonzie 2.jpg

Ben Chonzie 1.jpg
summit shot

ben chonzie 7.jpg
Deep Drift!!!
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Better to have phone pics than no pics at all :D be honest.. were you tempted to take a bumslide down that drift :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:35 pm

WOW, that's some snow :D

Pictures are good :) 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby pruney84 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks guys i guess the photos r ok bt not as good as camera ones, i was gutted nothaving it.
And yes i must admit i was tempted to bumslide..maybe next time :D
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby monty » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Hey thats some snow drift. Nice little walk in the conditions. :D
monty

Postby Bruadair » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Whoo Hoo..........big drift indeed.......did this mid October last year, sun bathing weather and not a breath of wind, I like the angry sky.

Well done..........B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby pigeon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:41 pm

Well done pruney ,i also enjoyed this hill ,great one for winter
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland