walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dowlaw to Cove

Dowlaw to Cove

Postby Justdrums » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Date walked: 08/02/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

L and I joined Angus from Geowalks on Day 3 of his Firth of Forth geowalk from St Abbs to St Andrews for charity https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/geowalks. This covered the stretch from Dowlaw to Cove. A windy day but a good one. This being a geology walk much of it was spent much nearer the sea than the usual Berwickshire costal path.
The start.jpg
Looking towards Torness

Stupidly I did not take a photo of the lovely falls below Redheugh farm just about the wonderfully named Meikle Poo Craig. It was just too good a lunch spot. Being an ex-geology student much of my photos are the vicinity of Siccar Point.
SiccarPoint-from-MarlyBrae.jpg
Siccar Point from Marly Brae

Getting-closer- Siccar-Point.jpg
Getting a little close to Siccar Point

Until we reached geological nirvana - Hutton's unconformity. I had not been hear since 1983 and in my mind's eye it was so much bigger. Perhaps I had to be a bit closer but there are various warning signs about the steep hillside.
Huttons-Unconformity.jpg
Hutton's Unconformity

Onwards to Pease Bay.
Looking back towards Dowlaw from Pease Bay.jpg
Looking back towards Dowlaw from above Pease Bay

From here we pretty much followed the coastal path to Cove.
CoveHarbour.jpg
Cove Harbour
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Justdrums
Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:15
Fionas:17   Donalds:50+17
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland