walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Choise for Storm Ciara

A Choise for Storm Ciara

Postby dav2930 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:23 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Mór (Glencoe), Sgòrr a' Choise

Date walked: 10/02/2020

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

Ascent: 1124m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A badly timed trip to the West Highlands if ever there was one, but Karl and me were booked into the newly refurbished Glen Nevis youth hostel for five nights and didn't have the heart to cancel.

Sunday 9th had been a total write-off with gales and torrential rain, and though the forecast for Monday wasn't much better - winds 50 - 80mph at Munro height and very frequent wintery showers with possible thunder - we were getting bored sitting around twiddling our thumbs. Trying to be sensible we decided against going higher than Graham height and settled on Sgorr a' Choise and Meall Mor from Ballachulish, which looked a good walk.

And so it turned out to be. Conditions were gnarly at times but never as bad as expected and with enough clear spells to keep the visual interest up. We half expected problems crossing the River Laroch to get to the col SW of Sgorr a' Choise, but with a bit of searching we found a stretch that was shallow enough to cross without removing boots.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSC04362.JPG
Sgorr a' Choise from the entrance to Gleann an Fhiodh

DSC04363.JPG
Sgorr a' Choise from further up the glen

DSC04364.JPG
Back down glen with Pap of Glencoe peeping up.

DSC04366.JPG
Sgorr Bhan from the col

DSC04367.JPG
The ridge leading to Sgorr a' Choise

DSC04368.JPG
Sgorr a' Choise

DSC04369.JPG
Looking down Gleann an Fhiodh to Loch Leven

DSC04370.JPG
Meall Lighiche up in the clag somewhere

DSC04371.JPG
Summit of Sgorr a' Choise

DSC04372.JPG
Loch Leven

DSC04375.JPG
Meall Mor from the col between Sgorr a'Choise and Meall a' Bhuige

DSC04376.JPG
Looking back to Sgorr a' Choise

DSC04378.JPG
Aonach Dubh a' Ghlinne and Bidean in the Clag

DSC04379.JPG
Summit of Meall Mor

DSC04381.JPG
Looking west along the ridge of Meall Mor

DSC04382.JPG
The mast on Am Meall

DSC04384.JPG
Sgurr a' Choise and Sgorr Bhan

DSC04386.JPG
The Pap, Sgorr nam Fiannaidh and Aonach Dubh

DSC04388.JPG
Ballachulish and Loch Leven

DSC04389.JPG
Sgorr a' Choise

Back at the yoof hostel later that evening, news broke that four ill-equipped young folks had been rescued off the Ben. Incredulous comments circulated in the lounge - no map, three of them wearing trainers, 'did they not see the forecast?', etc. Luckily the Lochaber MRT had got to them in time; a few hours later and they'd have perished. I tried to imagine how terrified they must have been.

"I'll bet there'll be a thread on Walkhighlands about this before long", we thought :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: A Choise for Storm Ciara

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:46 am

Looks like you got a quarter way decent day, especially given the forecast. Sgorr a'Choise looks superb in the first pic. And I'd never heard of it :oops: :oops: :oops:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: A Choise for Storm Ciara

Postby dav2930 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Looks like you got a quarter way decent day, especially given the forecast. Sgorr a'Choise looks superb in the first pic. And I'd never heard of it :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks AK. Yes it was a surprisingly enjoyable day despite the frequent, squally sleet & snow showers - I think we made the right decision to stay relatively low. Actually AK, before leafing through the SMC guide to the Grahams & Donalds looking for ideas the preceding night, I'd never heard of Sgorr a' Choise either! In fact there are an awful lot of Grahams out there that I'm completely ignorant of :oops: :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland