walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Lomond via Bunnet Stane

West Lomond via Bunnet Stane

Postby KevClock » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:07 am

Route description: West Lomond via the Bunnet Stane

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: West Lomond

Date walked: 17/02/2020

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9.25 km

Ascent: 421m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First time completing West Lomond today. Followed the route on Walk Highlands which worked perfect. Very windy on the way up and down due to recent weather, however not bad enough to cancel. Started off by heading to the Bunnet Stane which was great for photos, then headed off up the hill.
IMG_2502.JPG

A very enjoyable route, quite easy to follow however I kept gpx viewer on my phone to keep me right.

On reaching the top, there was great views across to Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh and across Fife.
IMG_2514.JPG

Coming down I slightly went off track however very difficult to get lost due to all paths leading to the main path down.

Managed to get a better look at John Knox's Pulpit on the way down too.
IMG_2520.JPG

Would definitely recommend to others.

I took numerous photos for my media accounts too.
@ScotHillwalker
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjR_IXaV29DjKXIEQth_FMQ
KevClock
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: West Lomond via Bunnet Stane

Postby Sgurr » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Dfificult to decide between this and Maspie Den as the best way up West Lomond, but until they mend the eroded path which lets you go behind the waterfall up Maspie Den, I'd go for this.

Below, frozen waterfall from behind

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland