walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro 176 Cona' Mheall

Munro 176 Cona' Mheall

Postby johnnycool » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Date walked: 23/07/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Campervan trip 028 6th 2011.
After the Strathfarrar munros I left the valley and at Struy I picked up a text message from Nick Carter suggesting we attempt the Great Traverse on Skye on Monday. So instead of going to Glen Affric I opted for an easy day on Saturday and ascended munro 176 Cona Mheal. So I headed up the A835 and had a beer at the Aultguish Inn and then on to WC 119 for an overnight. On Saturday morning I drove to the car park by the bridge NH 275 743. A long slog ensued over boggy heather past Loch a Gharbhrain and along side Loch Coire Lair. About half way along this loch I made a rising traverse to reach the bealach NH 273799. An exciting ascent albeit with easy scrambling up the S crags brought me to the level ridge. Then a further climb to the summit of Cona Mheall munro 176. I then made a descent over the boulder field to the bealach NH 268817 and then descended to Loch a Choire Ghranda where there was a large herd of deer. They quickly moved up the E flank of Cona Mheall and I made my along the W side of the loch. Then a long return to the van. 5hrs 50 min.
Off then to Ledgowan Lodge and a call to Nick Carter Alpha Mountaineering to see if the Skye adventure (Great Traverse of the Black Cuillin) was still on. We both agreed the weather was looking favourable so I went on to Carbost in readiness to meet him. The Great Traverse took place on 25 July 2011.
johnnycool

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland