walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tinto and friends from around Lamington

Tinto and friends from around Lamington

Postby malky_c » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:49 am

Route description: Tinto from Wiston Lodge

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dungavel Hill, Lamington Hill

Date walked: 23/02/2020

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 960m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Tinto
Sub 2k Marilyns: Dungavel Hill, Lamington Hill
Date: 23/02/2020.
Distance: 2.5km + 6km + 5km.
Ascent: 190m + 310m + 460m.
Time: 50 minutes + 1 hour, 30 minutes + 2 hours, 5 minutes.
Weather: Sunny spells, breezy with a couple of heavy snow showers.

Usual crazy weather on Saturday was followed by something a bit more benign on Sunday. We were originally going to head for a round at the head of the Manor Valley south of Peebles, but an increase in forecast wind speeds inspired us to try something with less prolonged walking at height. This turned out to be a good idea as there was a fair amount of fresh snow around above 400m - lovely to look at but less fun to walk in!

In the end, we went for a late start and an easy drive - a couple of smaller hills around Lamington followed by Tinto if the wind dropped a bit as was forecast.

Dungavel Hill

After leaving the motorway, a short drive took us past Rigside and onto smaller and smaller roads. Fortunately it wasn't cold enough for ice so we were spared any skidding about. Parking up at a cattle grid to the west of Dungavel Hill, it was a bright but breezy start to our wanderings. I put my waterproof jacket, hat and gloves on and decided that the walk would be so short that I wouldn't need my rucksack.

Dungavel.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Dungavel Hill

Looking SW

Everything was soaking due to the amount of rain recently, but the route was straightforward - over a gate and up steepening grassy slopes - probably quite dry normally. A look behind us confirmed that the weather would probably do a lot of things today. It wasn't immediately obvious how bad the bad bits would be though.

Quite pleasant now

Weather moving in

Well that went downhill quickly!

Within 10 minutes we were engulfed in a snow shower with the wind howling and the visibility right down. Wet snow was slapping us on the backs of our legs (lucky choice of approach direction) and it was quite fun to feel like we were in the middle of the Cairngorms in a storm so close to the car. Actually I wished I had brought my waterproof trousers and thicker gloves along now.....not to mention my ski goggles!

Bad weather clearing

As hoped, the shower only lasted 15 minutes or so, and the last dregs of it clearing were really impressive. Worth it for that, we decided. Thankfully although we would be descending back into the wind, it would no longer be howling snow into our faces - quite a relief :lol: .

Fortunately we still get views from the summit

Atmospheric

Tinto from Dungavel

Pentland Hills

So raging with the weather she booted the trig over

Coulter Fells

We were back down quicker than we ascended having enjoyed some great views of Tinto and the Coulter Fells. Not bad for less than an hour.

Lamington Hill

A few miles down the road, we parked up by the church in Lamington to nip up Lamington hill. We ate our sandwiches while another shower passed, then set off on our way. I had been up here before on the first day of my week-long Southern Uplands meander in 2014, but remembered it to be pleasant. Jackie had seen it after doing a round of the Coulter Fells and decided she fancied it too, so it was a handy addition to today's wanders.

Lamington.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lamington

Tinto from Lamington

After looping through the village, we crossed the A702 and entered the Baitlaws Estate. There was plenty of evidence of the rain here, and we had to nip over a fence to pass the worst of it.

Lots of water

Then it was up a sheltered route first through, then along the side of some woodland. This took us to the final ascent which had a good track, and some snow as well.

Sheltered ascent through the trees

Lamington Hill ahead

Lamington Hill

Coulter Fells

Coulter Fell

It was nice to see into the Coulter Fells, but Tinto was the show stealer from all angles today. Dropping back down into the glen to the south, we were able to make a circular route.

Tinto

Pentland Hills

Someone wants a lie-down

Looking back to Lamington Hill

Lots of meltwater

Going home was an option now as it was after 3pm, but having looked at Tinto all day, we decided we wanted to go up it.

Tinto

We drove around to Wiston Hall and parked up. This is probably the least popular path up Tinto (although I'm sure you can find more obscure routes), and also the shortest. What should have been an easy stroll through fields lower down was a maze of swamp and mud due to the amount of groundwater, and we were glad to reach the moorland and snow.

Tinto.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Approaching Tinto from Wiston

Getting closer

Dungavel Hill from the ascent

As we approached the steepest slopes, the skies threatened to unload on us again. Fortunately they didn't in the end. We were ascending behind the wind-scoured Pap Craig, which is where all of the snow had accumulated. This made the zigzags of the path easy to spot (they are not much used and not overly obvious in the summer), but made actually walking on them quite a trial!

Looking towards Coulter

Near the top of the zigzags

Higher up we felt like we were on a much bigger mountain than Tinto, which was great. At the top of Pap Craig, we had to wade briefly through some very deep snow before hitting the wind and easier conditions underfoot.

Scaut Hill

Summit in the sun

Looking up the Clyde

While we had briefly considered hanging around on the top for sunset but the strong westerly wind made us think otherwise. We also dismissed descending towards Lochlyloch Hill to make a circuit as we would be going into the wind. Instead we decided to use our footprints and go back the way we had come, which we were able to do very rapidly, getting back to the car long before headtorches were needed.

Summit

Dungavel Hill

Descending Pap Craig

A nice breath of fresh air and sunshine in a pretty appalling winter so far 8) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Tinto and friends from around Lamington

Postby hopper68 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Nice one Malky, these hills are about 30mins from me , been up Tinto about 9 or 10 times but i'll need to nip the other two sometime
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland