walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Route to Beinn A’Chliabhain is unsafe (winter conditions)

Route to Beinn A’Chliabhain is unsafe (winter conditions)

by navrlondon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Route description: Three Beinns Walk, Glen Rosa

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn

Date walked: 01/03/2020

Distance: 14 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Route to Beinn A’Chliabhain is unsafe (winter conditions

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:35 pm

Good research guys,the close up photo still doesn't make it that appealing,it reminds me of the time when I went out my comfort zone on A' Maighdean.
So should it be highlighted or not on maps,would it influence the OS if they knew the path is mentioned in books/online and MRT use it.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Good research guys,the close up photo still doesn't make it that appealing,it reminds me of the time when I went out my comfort zone on A' Maighdean.
So should it be highlighted or not on maps,would it influence the OS if they knew the path is mentioned in books/online and MRT use it.

Thanks, I received an answer from the OS this morning:

Hello Chris,

I have received a response from our technical support team.

I can confirm that the path marked as dangerous has been removed and tidied up, as they agree this is either a very old path that has been eroded over time or a path used by animals and should not be depicted as a path. The path in question was dated 2002 and was checked by air survey as is the case with most moorland mapping, we do not have dating earlier than this.

I do hope you will find this helpful.

I feel a bit guilty now that we're responsilbe for a path getting deleted, since the Arran MRT still use the low pass but it is a risky route and if removing this deer track from the OS maps minimises risk or saves even one life then it will be worthwhile, better safe than sorry.  The MRT know it is there and will still use it but hopefully novices or anyone in bad/wet conditions (especially winter) will give it a miss if it is not marked.
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Chris Mac wrote:
Giant Stoneater wrote:Good research guys,the close up photo still doesn't make it that appealing,it reminds me of the time when I went out my comfort zone on A' Maighdean.

Thanks, I received an answer from the OS this morning:

Hello Chris,

I have received a response from our technical support team.

I can confirm that the path marked as dangerous has been removed and tidied up, as they agree this is either a very old path that has been eroded over time or a path used by animals and should not be depicted as a path. The path in question was dated 2002 and was checked by air survey as is the case with most moorland mapping, we do not have dating earlier than this.

I do hope you will find this helpful.

I feel a bit guilty now that we're responsilbe for a path getting deleted, since the Arran MRT still use the low pass but it is a risky route and if removing this deer track from the OS maps minimises risk or saves even one life then it will be worthwhile, better safe than sorry.  The MRT know it is there and will still use it but hopefully novices or anyone in bad/wet conditions (especially winter) will give it a miss if it is not marked.

Personally I think this is the right decision, as it is more in keeping with how those path markings are used by OS generally; they only tend to be fairly obvious safe routes marked like that, which this probably isn't! Given the proximity of the alternative, its not going to stop anybody finding a route.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby tom061087 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:09 pm

I walked the lower path in 2009 while traversing from Beinn Tarsuinn to Beinn A’Chliabhain, believing it to be the main route. The path itself was solid but the drop was pretty terrifying. I do remember it looked much worse to look back on it from the south end than it did walking onto it from the north. I’m pretty sure it’s the most exposed piece of walking I’ve done.

I was back in the same place last week and was not looking forward to taking this path again, but this time managed to take the right (east) turn immediately at the bottom of the steep granite slabs on the north side of Beinn Tarsuinn. This route had no issues whatsoever descending through a relatively gently sloping grassy gully. When I got to the point of the low path joining my route again I looked across and could not believe I had ever walked along it - it looks a bit dodgy to say the least. If there has been a lot of erosion since 2009 that would explain it!

The safe turn off is pretty obvious and not sure how I missed it back in 2009 - possibly as it comes right at the bottom of the granite slabs I was distracted, it also appears to be going down into the Corrie at first before turning to contour round the hillside towards the ridge to Beinn A’Chliabheinn
tom061087

Munros:45   Corbetts:25
Fionas:16   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:45

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland