walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Route to Beinn A’Chliabhain is unsafe (winter conditions)

Route to Beinn A’Chliabhain is unsafe (winter conditions)

Postby navrlondon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Route description: Three Beinns Walk, Glen Rosa

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn

Date walked: 01/03/2020

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In winter conditions:
Route to Beinn A’Chliabhain from NR96293 41555 is unsafe. I was able to descend from NR96251 41517.
navrlondon

Re: Route to Beinn A’Chliabhain is unsafe (winter conditions

Postby dav2930 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:10 pm

navrlondon wrote:In winter conditions:
Route to Beinn A’Chliabhain from NR96293 41555 is unsafe. I was able to descend from NR96251 41517.

Why is it unsafe? As this post is in the walk reports section, perhaps a little detail about your personal experience on this route, and the reasons you were forced to descend, might have been appropriate and helpful? :?
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:42 pm

dav2930 wrote:
navrlondon wrote:In winter conditions:

Why is it unsafe? As this post is in the walk reports section, perhaps a little detail about your personal experience on this route, and the reasons you were forced to descend, might have been appropriate and helpful? :?

Quite. It would be useful to have some idea of the reasoning, the specific conditions (winter can be anything from ice covered rocks to deep powder, through perfect neve that is a joy to walk on with crampons), and a description of the alternatives.

I'm speculating (from the 1:25k OS map) that it could be the lower "traverse" line that would potentially be dodgy in winter (crossing very steep ground), but the given co-ordinates are too close together to be able to really tell, without being there with a reliable GPS.

Either way, thanks for the warning and welcome to Walkhighlands.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:09 pm

I have figured out what navrlondon is talking about, it is the so-called path marked on the OS map below Consolation Tor on Beinn Tarsuinn. This lower path is not a proper path and should be avoided at all costs! It is loose, worn away and very exposed, you are above an overhanging cliff.

Anyone descending Beinn Tarsuin to Consolation Tor should always turn right for Beinn a' Chliabhain, or left for A' Chir, never venture down onto this path (left at Tor down towards A' Chir then right at the cairn) as you can see from the photo below it barely even has a path and some sections have fallen away. There is definitely a case for the OS updating old paths like this otherwise it could lead to trouble or worse for someone who attempts it without proper knowledge of how exposed and worn it is:

Consolation Tor cliff path01.jpg

Consolation Tor cliff path02.jpg
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:17 pm

I think the description(Stage 4) of https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/three-beinns.shtml could be made clearer, though the map shows the ("correct") upper line.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:32 pm

jmarkb wrote:I think the description(Stage 4) of https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/three-beinns.shtml could be made clearer, though the map shows the ("correct") upper line.

I agree, it would be better to avoid going left at Consolation Tor to Bealach an Fhir Bhogha then right as this may be where the confusion lies, it would be much safer to reach Consolation Tor then head right with the options to the left being either A' Chir or it's bypass path to the west, not heading that way then doubling back otherwise the risk of the path of death being taken is increased. This can be easily fixed by replacing the mention of the Bealach with Consolation Tor:

Stage 4

Continue onwards to the twin summits of the second Beinn - Tarsuinn - with panoramic views in all directions. The steep descent to Consolation Tor is far from easy, with a certain amount of scrambling and negotiation of substantial boulders. A worn path is occasionally visible, but as much of the route involves rock slabs it's best to pick the path that appears most sensible. From past the Tor turn immmediately right and head south, again along a narrow, steep path, to arrive on the ridge above Coire Daingean with Beinn a'Chliabhain ahead. Follow the path along the grassy ridge, before forking left to ascend toward the summit. A clearer path heading right traverses well below the summit so don't miss the turning.

The map would need slightly tweaked to reflect this but the safest option by far is to avoid people going anywhere near that path.
Chris Mac

Postby gaffr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:09 am

To get onto that lower path, as has been said, you would need to be using the bigger scale map.
At the time when I climbed and did the traverse of the Corbetts on Arran I had just a 1:50,000 map so had no idea that a lower path existed. Although we did come back from Pagoda Ridge on the upper path that overlooks the fine meadow face of Nuis to get back to our tent in Glen Rosa.
A great island for granite walking and climbs.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:58 pm

Chris Mac wrote:I have figured out what navrlondon is talking about, it is the so-called path marked on the OS map below Consolation Tor on Beinn Tarsuinn. This lower path is not a proper path and should be avoided at all costs! It is loose, worn away and very exposed, you are above an overhanging cliff.

Anyone descending Beinn Tarsuin to Consolation Tor should always turn right for Beinn a' Chliabhain, or left for A' Chir, never venture down onto this path (left at Tor down towards A' Chir then right at the cairn) as you can see from the photo below it barely even has a path and some sections have fallen away. There is definitely a case for the OS updating old paths like this otherwise it could lead to trouble or worse for someone who attempts it without proper knowledge of how exposed and worn it is:

Thanks Chris, that looks like a nightmare! The OS ask for Error reports to be sent via their Contact Page https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/contact-us (I've sent a few). It will then at least go on file for when that section of the base map is next updated, and then again when the next paper maps are printed. I'd agree with your assessment.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Chris Mac » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:01 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Thanks Chris, that looks like a nightmare! The OS ask for Error reports to be sent via their Contact Page https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/contact-us (I've sent a few). It will then at least go on file for when that section of the base map is next updated, and then again when the next paper maps are printed. I'd agree with your assessment.

Nice one Mal good shout, i've sent them a message pointing to here and explaining the error with the path on OS map 361. As you say hopefully they will see from the photo that it might be best removing that bit of path from the map for safety reasons. Cheers!
Chris Mac

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:56 am

Interesting topic,my own views on this are why should a path that already exists be labelled as a error just because it might be dangerous in winter conditions,the path is already there and so it should be highlighted by the OS,this site highlights it and no doubt there will be other sites/books also.
The things is where do you draw the line,someone could highlight the other higher path as a error,nothing to stop them and I don't know how the OS refines these things and updates them.
All paths on maps are summer versions so to speak,you could label numerous paths as errors just because of winter conditions and being more dangerious ie Liathach path that goes through Coire Liath Mhor,Cuillin path that goes through Bealach na Glaic Moire,Helvellyn Striding Edge,Snowdon Grib Coch all which appear on the 1:25k OS map in greater detail than 1:50k.
I myself have been a frequent visitor to Arran and have never felt the need to use that lower path,one am mostly on my own and second it does not look feasible to my own eye,it's a hell of a drop.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:my own views on this are why should a path that already exists be labelled as a error just because it might be dangerous in winter conditions,the path is already there and so it should be highlighted by the OS

Hi GS, It's not about winter conditions, it is about this:
Giant Stoneater wrote:it does not look feasible to my own eye,it's a hell of a drop.

As you can see yourself from the photo, this is about common sense, safety and it being best to avoid this "path" completely, regardless of the time of year.

I checked some old OS maps and the 1868 to 1891 ones have no path and shows the current location of the path as being off a cliff edge which seems more accurate. There is still no marked path between Beinn Tarsuinn and Beinn a' Chliabhain and from 1926 up to to 1956.

I've had a quick look but can't find the first map this path appeared on but it wasn't on any of the older ones, they all show a cliff where the path is, so I figure one of the early 1:25k OS maps of Arran probably marked it, possibly when the path was walkable although going with the eyeball test and lack of path there on any older maps suggests to me possible confusion from those doing the survey at the time.

cliff path.jpg

Maybe the map makers got drunk up the Ormidale afterwards and did a rush job to finish their notes, whatever happened it is very surprising to see a path marked on ground like that, i'm now more intrigued to find out why this was marked as a path, hopefully the OS will get back to me about it and I can query it further with them.

I'll also contact a friend in the Arran MRT to see what their take on it is.
Chris Mac

Postby jmarkb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:43 pm

It appears that the lower path has not always been a totally unreasonable proposition: for example, Ralph Storer uses it in one of his "100 Best Routes", though he does note that it is maybe better to use the upper route in winter. Likewise it gets a mention in my 1989 edition of the SMC Islands guide, again with a note that it becomes very exposed in winter. The lower path appear to have suffered some erosion/landslip in the fairly recent past which has made it more dangerous. It will be interesting to see what the OS's take on it is, since it is a clearly an existing feature on the ground.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:18 pm

jmarkb wrote:The lower path appear to have suffered some erosion/landslip in the fairly recent past which has made it more dangerous. It will be interesting to see what the OS's take on it is, since it is a clearly an existing feature on the ground.

Good work, I suspected as much and await AMRT providing additional info. The OS replied earlier and we'll get a proper response sometime soon, likely within the next 7-10 days:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your feedback about a path being shown.

I have passed the details to our technical support team to investigate and advise. Hopefully i will be able to provide a full response to you by 16 March and possibly earlier.

I do hope you will find this helpful and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Business Enquiries,

A Contact Us Webform has been submitted to us via the OS Website, please review the submitted details below:

Webform Entry Received:
Topic : Report an error
Sub-Topic : Paper map products

Description Of Error : Please visit the page on Walkhighlands at https:--www.walkhighlands.co.uk-Forum-viewtopic.php?f=9&t=95706 for details and info including a screenshot and photo where we found an error

on map 361 - https:--www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk-shop-explorer-map-isle-of-arran.html. The lower path to the east of Consolation Tor is not a good path to take and is very risky, it should probably be removed to help prevent anyone taking it by mistake. Thanks.

Location Of Error : Map of Isle of Arran 361 - Explorer 1:25 000 scale
Chris Mac

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:14 pm

I found a closer shot I took of the path and cliff and with a better scale I reckon the path could be doable but still very airy and risky. Added below in case anyone wants a closer look using the Flickr zoom. I'm heading home in the next week or so and plan to go up and investigate closer to see it in detail:

ImageCoire Daingean path by Chris Mac, on Flickr
Chris Mac

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Update from Arran MRT:

Hi Chris, in MRT we call it high and low pass, the low pass has been there as long as I can remember.
I guess it was a deer/sheep track originally and developed into a track used by a few who knew it existed.
We in the MRT use it often but care needs to be taken especially in wet conditions.
For example when I complete the A’Chir ridge with clients in the Mountain festival we always exit through the high pass for all the extra time it takes with a large group.
Chris Mac

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland