walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

On Eve's Road

On Eve's Road

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:17 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Mhic an Toisich

Date walked: 29/02/2020

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 650m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another weekend, another attempt to spend a few hours outside, preferably on higher ground. We heard something about storm Jorge, but to be honest, we were so hill-deprived that it didn't really matter. Saturday looked slightly better in forecast, so we picked an easy Graham just in case weather turned sour. Also, with the thick layer of soft snow on higher mountains, we wanted to stay away from any avalanche-prone slopes. Therefore, a local hill, Carn Mhic an Toisich, seemed the best option.

I once called this Graham "obscure by nature". As of today, there are only 61 claimed ascents of this hill on Walkhighlands and it is at no. 201 on the list of "most ascents". We had visited it in 2017 following the route from Bhlaraidh (at the moment, the parking area we started from is used to store felled trees so not available), but I was always tempted to repeat it in full winter conditions via Eve's Road (so appropriate!) from Dundreggan. Both routes follow good tracks, neither is particularly scenic (unless you enjoy walking past wind turbines or along powerlines) but the hill itself has a nice, wide ridge, lovely to follow in deep snow.

Track_MACKINTOSH HILL15-2 KM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There is a good layby to park next to the start of Eve's Road:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 150.JPG

The path through the forest is well waymarked:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 001.JPG

I was eager to check the local legend: a pair footprint shapes in the ground, allegedly left in 1827, by a local preacher. Supposedly, nothing ever grows on them...
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 002.JPG

The path is not always obvious and if it wasn't for the markers, we might have had a problem to find it:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 152.JPG

Higher up the path joins an ATV track:
Image2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 008 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Once out of the woods, we joined a wider track, built for the construction of Beauly-Denny powerline. Not the wildest of landscapes, but at least it offered easy going:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 161.JPG

We spotted a small herd of deer on the nearby slope:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 019.JPG

Soon we entered the snow zone but so far, so good...
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 021.JPG

About half way up, we noticed a nasty shower following us, but we were in luck today. It passed along Glen Morriston and never reached us.
Get ready, Armageddon is coming :lol: :lol:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 029.JPG

The track crosses the high ground west to the summit of Carn Mhic an Toisich at about 550m, which leaves only about 120m of ascent off-piste. Naismith for this route (if returning the same way) is 4hrs 20min and on a good summer day it would indeed be a half-day walk, but today, we were in for some good snow-swimming! Even on the track higher up, we marched in 4-5 inches of fresh, pristine snow. And it was only going to get deeper as we progressed...
Kevin ready for a snow-battle:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 169.JPG

Icicles and pylons:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 171.JPG

At some point, I worked out a strategy: walking alongside the track was actually faster than on the track itself :lol: :lol:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 035.JPG

At the height of 500m, we decided we were fed up with it and went off-piste. First we had to probe the ditch to make sure we didn't end up waist-deep in a hidden trap :shock: Once on the slopes of Meall Ruigh Uisdein, it was relatively easy walking to the first top on the ridge. As we left the power pylons behind, a short snow shower came, leaving us in a temporary whiteout...
Where is everything???
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 042.JPG

Thankfully, the shower went away as quickly as it arrived and soon we were basking in sunshine!
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 054.JPG

Only now we could appreciate the white world around us. The passing cloud still obscured some of the surrounding landscape, but I must say, Carn Mhic an Toisich is much better a viewpoint than one might think. And in winter conditions...WOW.
Lookink NW towards Loch na Beinne Baine:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 065.JPG

We haven't had a good winter so far, so maybe that explains why we were so overexcited about a simple Graham, but just being able to walk in the snow (tough as it was!) made us much happier!
Panther snapping photos:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 073.JPG

From Meall Ruigh Uisdein we traversed to An Suidhe, the middle top. Walking was slow in places...
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 202.JPG

...but we were enchanted by the shape of the summit of our target hill. It looked very distant from An Suidhan, but it was just an illusion. In reality, it's less than 1km from the middle top:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 079.JPG

The winter wonderland around us:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 087.JPG

The mountains of Affric, Sgurr na Lapaich prominent in the middle, Tom and Toll to the right:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 090.JPG

View east to Loch Ma Stac:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 089.JPG

The summit was windy...
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 107.JPG

2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 218.JPG

...so we just took more photos of winter wonderland, before descending a few meters to find a sheltered spot for lunch. I spent some time removing snow from my gaiters, Kevin just slurped his tea. We had good views east towards Meall a'Chrathaich, sadly this side is spoiled by a recently built windfarm:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 097.JPG

To return to the powerline track, we had the great pleasure to walk along this snow-covered ridge:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 104.JPG

View south and footprints in the snow:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 213.JPG

Zooms to Sgurr na Lapaich:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 112.JPG

2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 121.JPG

We took time on the way back, not only because snow was deep, but simply to enjoy the white world as long as it lasted... With spring coming soon, we might not get another chance!
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 127.JPG

Kevin got his share of snow games:
Image2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 220 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Back on the track:
2020-02-29 mackintosh hill 133.JPG

It was a lovely day indeed, despite strong wind gusts on the ridge!
Eve's Road is indeed a convenient way to climb Carn Mhic an Toisich. It would be possible to combine it with the route we used in 2017, but you'd need two cars for that.

So that's all for now. I'm carefully optimistic for the coming weekend. Maybe another hill... even if it's just a Sub :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: On Eve's Road

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:44 pm

Wonderful views well worth the effort. Another one I'd never heard of!

For once, I was actually on a hill that day, and not a million miles away, a bit further south. A great, but brief, break allowed a similar Graham bag. Trip report eventually...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: On Eve's Road

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 pm

Lovely, what a difference a bit of snow makes to photography. Nice to see Lapaich, I remember once back in the 1970's sitting in the car park at Easter watching the snow blowing in a plume from the summit and wishing I was up there. My wish came true in 1994 and it's a fabulous viewpoint.
On a completely different tack, in the last photo I noticed the difference between the two sets of footprints. One set with feet pointing directly in front, the other with them at 10 to 2.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland