walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cromdale grahams

The Cromdale grahams

Postby gld73 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:46 pm

Route description: Creagan a' Chaise, Cromdale Hills

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn a'Ghille Chearr, Creagan a' Chaise

Date walked: 05/03/2020

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 800m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Due to a combination of poor weather on all my days off, and crashing my car on the A9 when I got a puncture on the way to a winter mountain skills course (not injured, just without a car for 3 weeks!), I didn't do a single hill in February. Got my car back on Wednesday 4th, and was on a day off with good weather on Thursday 5th, so time to break that bad run of hill-free weeks.

Thought I might have got a bit unfit with the lack of mountain walking recently, so didn't want to pick anything too epic. Seemed like a good time to do Creagan a'Chaise from Cromdale - not too far to drive, and a good one to do in clear conditions in winter from what I'd read ... and when I set off, my intention was just to do that one rather than both the Cromdale grahams.

I didn't bother with an early start, so parked in the village car park in Cromdale and started the walk at 1130. Up the Haughs road, the Coronation cairn already visible from the village.... navigation wasn't going to be a problem today. Turned right towards the farm and castle, then left through the farmyard and continued following the track. Didn't do the castle detour as I thought I'd be coming back this way.
APDC6843.JPG
On the track heading to the right of Claggersnich Wood, the Coronation Cairn visible up top on the left

Followed the track up around Claggersnich Wood, then left the track to head directly up to the Coronation cairn. I maybe should have stayed on the track a bit longer as the walk description mentions a path, but the heather on this section was short enough for it to be a straightforward ascent, and I just came across the path once it was covered in snow near the cairn.
APDC6844.JPG
Looking back from the heathery hillside to Cromdale village in the centre

APDC6845.JPG
Approaching Coronation cairn, with a couple of other pairs of footprints in the snow though I didn't see anyone else anywhere on the Cromdale hills on this day. Creagan a Chaise is the hill in the background

APDC6847.JPG
From the cairn looking to the next target, the summit of Creagan a Chaise

I'd expected the hills here to have more snow cover, but it was patchy and rarely over ankle deep. From the Coronation Cairn, the route ahead was obvious, down a dip, up again, and curving round to the left, to the big cairn on the summit of Creagan a Chaise, already visible. There were bits of ATV tracks visible in some places, but with the snow and short heather, it was just as easy following my own route rather than trying to stick to tracks which disappeared in places.
APDC6849.JPG
Lots of snow on the final approach to the summit as I approached from the north side

There was thick snow on the short steep section up to the summit, but once back on a flat area getting the sun, there wasn't much around the trig point and large Jubilee cairn. Lovely views over to the Cairngorm munros, which were certainly holding on to their white winter coats better than the lower hills. On first glance at the cubby hole in the cairn, I thought people had left rubbish in .... on closer inspection I realised it was actually a half full bottle of Glenlivet whisky (12yr old malt), plus the visitors book in plastic bags wedged under a stone. I didn't have a dram, but did sign the book.
APDC6855.JPG
Sunshine and not much snow at the Jubilee cairn and the summit trig point

APDC6852.JPG
Half a bottle of Glenlivet and a visitors book at the cairn

APDC6853.JPG
South to the snowy Cairngorms

Looking back the way I'd come, I thought the other graham, Carn a Ghille Chearr, was the hill clearly visible back along the other end of the ridge/plateau. As it had taken me less than 2hrs to get to Creagan a Chaise's summit, I started to think maybe extending the walk to Carn a Ghille Chearr was a good possibility after all - the weather was pretty much perfect for it (excellent visibility and very little wind) and my feet were still dry, the snow and cold weather keeping the boggy plateau a bit crunchy rather than soggy. I decided to at least head towards it and if I felt I wouldn't be completing it in daylight, could just head down and do the other summit another day.
APDC6859.JPG
Passing the Coronation Cairn again, this was the route I was now taking towards Carn a Ghille Chearr (looking at Carn Eachie, as the graham is only a wee bit higher and hidden behind it)

So I more or less retraced my route back to Coronation Cairn, but then continued along the high ground instead of heading back down the way I'd come up. A check of the map showed the hill I'd been looking at thinking it was the other graham was actually Carn Eachie, with the only slightly higher Carn a Ghille Chearr a bit further beyond it.The ground seemed to get boggier which wasn't as enjoyable as the preceding few kilometres, and I lost more elevation than I'd expected before having to ascend again. My boots eventually decided to give up their waterproof status, but never mind, the sun was still shining so I wasn't going to freeze.
APDC6860.JPG
For once, a mountain hare stayed still long enough for me to get a (bad) picture

APDC6870.JPG
Reindeer prints? There were quite a few of these large prints around, though no reindeer in sight today

Once I reached Carn Eachie, the terrain was fairly flat with short vegetation for the walk over to Carn a Ghille Chearr's summit for the second graham of the day. I even jogged a bit of it before deciding hiking boots weren't the best footwear for that. Took a couple of photos, but didn't linger for long as it was a still fair walk back to Cromdale from there.
APDC6862.JPG
From Carn Eachie the route to Carn a Ghille Chearr is straight ahead over easy terrain

APDC6863.JPG
Carn a Ghille Chearr summit with Ben Rinnes in the background

APDC6864.JPG
Ben Rinnes zoomed

APDC6865.JPG
Looking towards Glenlivet area, so I'm guessing these are the Ladder Hills?

For my return route, I more or less retraced my steps to Carn Eachie and then down to the bealach. Instead of continuing back along the plateau/ridge, I headed down west, thinking that past the snow I'd spot the path shown on my OS map as heading down to Wester Rynaballoch, or another shown as going to Easter Rynaballoch. I didn't see either of them, though I wasn't looking too hard as the descent through the knee-deep heather was very straightforward (would have been tough going up through it mind!). Not being on the paths to either Wester or Easter Rynaballoch, I fell between the 2 stools and so just headed for the section of single track tarmac road between them. Turned out this wasn't a great decision, as near the bottom I had to clamber over 3 barbed wire fences and go through a swamp which filled my boots with muddy water. It was nice to climb the 3rd fence and come out on the Haughs Road for the easy 4km walk back to the car, passing a couple of much easier access routes on to the hill than the one I'd come down, as well as the turn off to Lethendry Farm that I'd taken at the start of the walk.
APDC6868.JPG
Heading back down Carn Eachie to the bealach. Creagan a Chaise in the distance (right of centre)

APDC6871.JPG
Heathery descent to the minor road at Rynaballoch

So a longer walk than I'd originally planned, but all the better for it :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: The Cromdale grahams

Postby PeteR » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:08 pm

I did these two last year from the other side. Found the walk between the two summits a bit tougher than I'd expected. Met a herd of reindeer on the way back, so made the trip special just for that experience.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gld73 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:57 pm

PeteR wrote:I did these two last year from the other side. Found the walk between the two summits a bit tougher than I'd expected. Met a herd of reindeer on the way back, so made the trip special just for that experience.

Oh you were lucky there, I was disappointed not to spot any reindeer. Loads of reindeer tracks around Carn Eachie, but not so much as a glimpse of a glimpse of an actual animal unfortunately. Maybe they prefer the Glenlivet slide of the hill to the Cromdale side?!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:21 pm

gld73 wrote:
PeteR wrote:I did these two last year from the other side. Found the walk between the two summits a bit tougher than I'd expected. Met a herd of reindeer on the way back, so made the trip special just for that experience.

Oh you were lucky there, I was disappointed not to spot any reindeer. Loads of reindeer tracks around Carn Eachie, but not so much as a glimpse of a glimpse of an actual animal unfortunately. Maybe they prefer the Glenlivet slide of the hill to the Cromdale side?!

Think so.....a shot from my trip last year

https://flic.kr/p/2f2bR4a
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 am

I did get the reindeer and the barbed wire fences but missed out on the whisky, albeit I would never have got both with having climbed both hills on different days.
I've read the reindeer can be a bit aggressive and one did test its antlers on my walking poles when I was there (CGC) last year. A beautiful sight though and worth it even in retrospective fear of being pranged.
Anyway, a good way to bounce back from a hill-less February. Going by peakfinder.org those are indeed the Ladder Hills: https://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=57.3508&lng=-3.4317&azi=134&zoom=5&ele=710&date=2020-03-10T10:36Z&name=C%C3%A0rn%20a'Ghille%20Che%C3%A0rr
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:49 pm

We were on the Cromdale to Grantown part of the SSW the day before this and got a lovely sunny day for it. But we didn't see the reindeer! :mrgreen:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland