walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers via Beinn Ghlas (Lawers Range)

Ben Lawers via Beinn Ghlas (Lawers Range)

Postby jwramsay » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 25/07/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On 25th July 2009, I managed to coax my kids Megan and wee Josh, along with Megan's friend Lorna into bagging a few munros for the day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Megan, Josh & Lorna just after summit of Ghlas:

Looking at Ben Lawers from the summit of Glas:

There are some pretty steep cliffs on Ben Lawers:

Due to Charity work and football training commitments, we couldn't leave to begin the 2 hour drive to Ben Lawers (which is course lies North or the banks of Loch Tay) until around 12.30pm. Thanks to the Callender highland games, the traffic on the A84 was horrendous, and added 1 hour to our journey. When we approached Loch Earn Head, I just had a feeling that, due to it having a Highland Games event, the pilice would have a speedtrap set up. What do ya know! The car behind me, who i had been behind me since the M9 got pulled - there for the grace of god!

So, we arrived at around 3pm and started our ascent from the Car Park at the Visitors Centre at 3.15pm. This gives a head start of around 1200 feet.

The route up involves tackling the munro Beinn Ghlas first, then you drop down the Bealach and up the steep face of Ben Lawers.

The 10th highest mountain in Scotland and indeed the UK offers excellent panoramas, and due to the evening light, the views were simply stunning.

From the top, I could make out Ben Nevis, Ben More, Ben Cruchan, Arran, Glen Coe and Schiehallion, possible some of the mountains on Mull.

We summited around 6pm at Lawers, so just under 3 hours. We stayed up top for a good hour and back down to the carpark by 8.30pm. Home by 10.30 after picking up some tasty sausage suppers - your body craves fat after a double munro bag!

Nice light:

Youtube (split in 2 due to the old 10minute rule):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXf2O_VwQ5I[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSB-PbWukWs[/youtube]
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Ben Lawers via Beinn Ghlas (Lawers Range)

Postby ChrisW » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Great report and fantastic pics, what a cracking view. The video had me laughing when Megan was posing on the cairn (disapproving looks from the woman in the blue bandanna :wtf: ) looked like a great day, thanks for sharing :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby skuk007 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Excellent views there, great video too, looks like you had a good fun day out. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Klaasloopt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 am

ChrisW wrote:The video had me laughing when Megan was posing on the cairn (disapproving looks from the woman in the blue bandanna :wtf: ) :D

Don't you know? It is VERY IMPORTANT to not have fun nor wear non-outdoor-shop-gear in the vicinity of TRUE MOUNTAINEERS! :mrgreen:
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Robinho08 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:51 am

Nice wee report. I have been on Ben Lawers twice now and seen nowt. lol.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Good to see a fun-looking summery day for a change. 2009... so this could be the first in a long run of catch-up reports :D

Don't you know? It is VERY IMPORTANT to not have fun nor wear non-outdoor-shop-gear in the vicinity of TRUE MOUNTAINEERS! :mrgreen:

Good to see you have picked up on that aspect of our culture klaas :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby jwramsay » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Good to see a fun-looking summery day for a change. 2009... so this could be the first in a long run of catch-up reports :D

Good to see you have picked up on that aspect of our culture klaas :lol:

Yeah, I'm clearing the decks of my previous walks, having just found your great site at the end of 2010. I really love this feature of your website. Not that many left now, as I've "canned" a few this week!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland