walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First of the year - Lamington Hill

First of the year - Lamington Hill

Postby thepigguy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Lamington Hill

Date walked: 28/02/2020

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 5.1 km

Ascent: 285m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This one didn't go exactly to plan.

I was in Edinburgh visiting my son and daughter and looking forward to my first new hills of the year. A stomach bug which had hit me while on the Kirkwall-Aberdeen ferry had left me feeling a little jaded, but I was perky enough a couple of days later and climbed aboard the 9.20am 102 bus heading south towards Dumfries.

The plan was to get off at Lamington, head up Lamington Hill, then over to Cowgill and up Hudderstone before going on to Coulter to catch the 6pm bus back. The weather forecast was reasonably promising so I was pretty excited when I got off the bus.

As I approached the village chapel, I realised I had left our fairly expensive camera on the bus while organising my rucksack. A couple of minutes swearing later I was on the phone to Stagecoach in Dumfries where they promised to contact the driver and the camera would be on the bus as it returned towards Edinburgh. Unfortunately this was due in Lamington at 2.30, leaving me only three-and-a-half hours. Not enough for the planned walk, but too much for a trip up Lamington Hill alone.

I set off anyway, following Inca's route from the back of the kirkyard. Easy enough at first, the track takes you round to the kennels and then up through forestry before a stile brings you out into the open hillside. There's an old gate that needs to be climbed and another stile before the last, pleasant walk up the ATV track to the summit.

That had taken me an hour and 20 minutes - slow even by my leisurely standards - and I didn't feel exactly marvelous. I'm guessing the bug and a lack of recent walking (it's been a shocker of a winter in Orkney) had left me maybe 30 per cent fit. Plus all the larger surrounding hills were covered in cloud, it was getting windier and snow/sleet/hail was threatening.

So, after a cup of tea, I retraced my steps, giving myself time to explore some old ruins around Lamington village, before being reunited with the camera and escaping wifely wrath!

Despite all the puffing and wheezing, I'd recommend Lamington Hill, a really pleasant walk which I will be repeating - maybe with Hudderstone next time.

lamington1.jpg
Through the trees onto the hillside

lamington2.jpg
Lamington Hill as you emerge from the trees

lamington3.jpg
The way up is clear and, apart from some ice, pretty easy

lamington4.jpg
Looking down towards Baitlaws

lamington5.jpg
February in the Borders

lamington6.jpg
The "view" over to Tinto

lamington7.jpg
Lamington Hill summit

lamington8.jpg
Gate on the way up/down that needs to be climbed

lamington9.jpg
Ruined buildings near Lamington village
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland