walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain (Arrochar Alps)

Beinn Narnain (Arrochar Alps)

Postby jwramsay » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:35 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 27/06/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Saturday 27th June 2009, me, Megan and her friend Lorna set off early (7am) to climb 2 munros and a corbett, namely Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime and Ben Arthur (The Cobbler).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We started out at 9am from the Succoth car park at the top of Loch Long, just round from Arrochar. Despite having scoured google maps, we missed the start of the old hydro electric path and did the newer zig-zag path up until it meets the "road" near the Mobile phone mast.

We then headed right along the road, left takes you via more zig zags to the cobbler path. We picked up the traditional path a few hundred yards down. Its quite steep to get onto it from the road, as the stream runs down here. You walk over lots of old concrete foundations as you ascend this path, until eventually you are at the top in some open fern land. A path leads off to the left and that meets the cobbler path again (we came back this way from the Cobbler).

Hands on scrambing:

C'mon girls:

Getting scary now:

The Spearhead approaches:

The top:

That Narnain boulder is big!:

You start to get great views from here, and it involves some scambling at points. Eventually we caught a glipmpse of The Cobbler which had mist in the centre but we saw the two outside peaks. After that, the mist rolled in. It was so eerie, only being able to see 10 feet in front of you. As we gained height we felt the presence of "The Spearhead" - A quite awesome rock, even enshrouded in mist! We scrambled up the side of it and that was us, on the Plateux. We heard a group at the trig point, so followed the noise. Some guy was celebrating 1000 munros with a bottle of malt! Couldn't see a thing, and were glad to be accompanied down with another group.

So, gave up on Ime and The Cobbler - another day!

Youtube:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyh2JM2iDI[/youtube]
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Beinn Narnain (Arrochar Alps)

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:53 am

Great report and some great pics on the vid, the girls look freezing in that trig point pic .... damn that sensor dirt :x
:D :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby skuk007 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Nice report, looks like you took quite an interesting route up. Those boulders look impressive, calling out to be climbed!
Isn't boulder 2 the one that hardened climbers/walkers use as a howff?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Bruadair » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi JW,

You're fair firing in the reports............ I tried to et the three in at back end of last year, but time was against us so dropped Ime in favour of the Cobbler...weather was much better than you had and I absolutely loved Narnain, took a similar route to yourselves.... what a great wee hill....so far I think this is my favourite.

The girls look well impressed and I bet they totally loved you for that shot.

Again..........good stuff.

Regards...............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland