walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torlum torlum torlum tolumtolum

Torlum torlum torlum tolumtolum

Postby Tam Collie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:18 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Torlum

Date walked: 15/03/2020

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 4.2 km

Ascent: 262m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I rather wanted a walk where we could get some views having struck out yesterday so we were off again, somewhere local with no long drives and a little lower to make the going easier.

Torlum is not a hill that I'd heard of before, don't know why as I'm sure it's a popular hill for the folk local to Crieff, but it was new to me and I was looking forward to a pleasant stroll in the woods.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked in the entrance to the forest track by the locked gate and jumped over the fence (sic: not hefted this time) and headed West along a well surfaced road to a fork.

Now here you can turn right or left, we turned right and while both tracks rejoin later on, I would recommend the left one. The right one finds it's way through the Crieff Clay Pidgeon shooting range and the unpleasantness of what looks like a squatters camp. Should the shooting be active you wouldn't go this way anyway but really I can't believe the estate condones what I consider to be an appalling mess. Anyway soon past and on through the woods noting a truly massive old oak as we did so.
IMG_1236.JPG
Woodland track

Keeping on this track brings you around to the other branch but just before a smaller track breaks off right and back tracks up the side of the hill.
IMG_1237.JPG

Past an area of cleared woods and onto the top slopes where views east over Crieff unfold.
IMG_1242.JPG
and the top is soon reached.

IMG_1243.JPG

Great views from here and we tried to pick out where we had been yesterday
IMG_1248.JPG

The descent was via a worn path to the forest track, but rather than follow this we opted for a mountain bike track through the trees, steep in places and somewhat muddy but with a curious added sense of adventure. It exited the woods by the junction of the track that cut back from the main one.
IMG_1254.JPG

A pleasant wander through the woods down to the car was all that was left though we did past one or two oak trees, greyed with old mans beard a remnant of a older forest.
IMG_1258.JPG

It's always time well spent whiling away a pleasant hour or so rambling up a new hill. Looking forward to the next one already!
Tam Collie
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:127
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:73   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland