walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"Don't come too close to me" - Police

"Don't come too close to me" - Police

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:55 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 17/03/2020

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The title is a bit of a play on words with the old Police song, "Don't stand so close to me"

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

When anyone reads this in a few years time they will think - what!! The 'world' is in the grips of a new style war, this time without bombs, guns etc, the killer this time is virus Covid 19 or how it is generally called Corona Virus.
We are now in the month of March and the virus first became known was in China in November, the rest of the world appeared to take a back seat and think thank goodness we aren't involved. Now we are on the brink of going into lockdown which effectively means we are all ordered to stay indoors.
With the above in mind and lockdown just around the corner I suggested to George and Parminder we head out to clear our heads and put the world to rights. George is not long back from a week in the sun in Spain and I know what days Parminder is free so a Tuesday outing would be ideal. After Parminder's recent struggle with cramp and George not having been out for months I suggested we tackle a wee hill. I opted for Earl's Seat as it is a good leg stretch with enough ascent to get the heart and lungs working.
I volunteered to drive and we met at the P&R in Inverkeithing at 8am and the drive would take just over an hour, definitely much shorter than some of our recent outings.

Limited parking in the layby very close to Glengoyne Distillery

Parminder keeping his distance as usual

Good initial track

Road recently tarmac'd

Evidence of a recent landslip, caused by excessive rain/water

Enough solar panels to boil your kettle

The large house that possibly benefits from the panels, there maybe lot's of females within who like leaving the lights on?

George striding out confidently, the lump in front is Dumgoyne.

A couple styles to negotiate, before a bit of going up commences

The way ahead, we opted to save Dumgoyne for the return leg and it did look steep

Looking north

George and Parminder stopping for a chat on the steep ascent, it looked much steeper when we were descending

All those humps in the distance have to be climbed

The view south with Dumgoyne on the right

Dumgoyne again, very distinctive

Old ruins or a random pile of stones or as Parminder says 'stanes'

Earl's Seat in the distance, do we go direct over/through the peat hags or skirt round to the left keeping most of the height gained. We opted for the latter

Peat hags wouldn't be much fun after the heavy overnight rain

Parminder leading for a brief period

George playing catchup

Getting a bit nearer

Trig now fairly obvious

Here they are - all smiles now

Video taken on the summit of Earl's Seat

Looking NE towards Stronend, Parminder and I were up there last year

This was our lunch stop, nice shelter from the wind. George was totally unaware of the great view behind him

Looking down on Dumgoyne on our way back. The rain was just starting (as forecast), we discussed whether we fancied the brief struggle up Dumgoyne. Our unanimous decision was to give it a body swerve, especially as there was no blue balloon for the struggle

Final photo of Dumgoyne

Bonus photo - Earl's Seat taken from the summit of Stronend last year

As usual this was a superb day, really enjoyed catching up and the exercise was very welcome. We even managed to find a café open and enjoyed a nice relaxing coffee. Thanks to 2 chums for the fantastic company. The day must have been good as Parminder even took ONE photo - that nobody will ever see.
The future is looking gloomy and our lives are now in the hands of the decision makers and their advisers for what looks like at least a couple of months. I am hoping to tackle Craignell in D&G on Saturday on my way back home from down south. Keep your fingers crossed.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland