walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From the Cluanie Inn to the Kintail Lodge - 12 Tops, 4 Days

From the Cluanie Inn to the Kintail Lodge - 12 Tops, 4 Days

by Mancunian » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgùrr na Sgìne

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 07/05/2019

Time taken: 96 hours

Distance: 86 km

Ascent: 6500m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: From the Cluanie Inn to the Kintail Lodge - 12 Tops, 4 D

Postby Mancunian » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:30 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Really enjoyed reading this, which has taken a couple of visits as its almost as long as some of mine!

Impressive terrain to carry full camping gear over, especially the descent of the Forcan ridge.

We too make up our own names for many of the Gaelic ones; Gloria is the same. I also carry a spring water bottle full of malt whisky on overnight trips; its bigger and lighter than a hip flask, until you fill it...

I hope you manage such an adventure at some point in this "interesting" year, and can come back to tell us all about it.

Thanks a lot Mal Grey.
We did actually not carry the heavy rucksacks all the way. Day 1, 2 and 3 were round trips where we left everything apart from rain gear and food in the tents. The rucksacks were quite light. Only on the last day where we tackled the Forcan ridge, we had the heavy rucksacks, which were a bit lighter then because we had almost no food left. But I would not recommend the Forcan ridge to anyone in the way we did it.

The gaelic names are really complicated. I once tried to memorize the pronounciation from walkhighlands but no chance. Therefore we come up with funny names which of course is quite disrespectful but well... The hills have no ears.

I really hope that my planned trip for August will take place but currently everything is quite vague.

Sunset tripper wrote:Great stuff Mancunian. :D

Cheers sunset tripper ...
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Mancunian » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:27 pm

This is the second year that I will not be able to come to Scotland due to Covid. In order to battle my desire for Scotland I compiled a wee film of the 2019 hiking trip.. Feel free to watch the youtube video if you like.
I hope to come back to Scotland but the outlook is bleak. Over here in Germany a new lockdown will come into effect in a couple of days. But I wont complain and will be back in 2022. Fingers crossed.

Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Postby Verylatestarter » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm

Thank you for the effort you have put into a great report.
John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Postby Mancunian » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 am

Verylatestarter wrote:Thank you for the effort you have put into a great report.
John

Thanks a lot. It's always nice to get some feedback.
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland