walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torlum and a lock down memory lane

Torlum and a lock down memory lane

Postby Graeme D » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Torlum

Date walked: 22/03/2020

Time taken: 1.6 hours

Distance: 4.8 km

Ascent: 300m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I first did this wee hill near Crieff in May 2011 with my wife, 9 week old daughter Ailsa and our dog Lucy. Things have changed a bit since then. Ailsa is now 9 and turning into a proper young woman, we have been without Lucy for over 2 years and we have a new Labrador now, 4 month old Luna, short for Lunatic.Oh, and the world is going into lockdown and meltdown in seemingly equal measure in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Changed times indeed.

Back on that day in May 2011, Debbie was still recovering from the traumatic and life threatening aftermath of delivering Ailsa and it was Ailsa's first hill. She even had her nappy changed at the summit as Lucy looked on and reflected on how this was something she was not in the habit of observing at summit trig points! Today it was just Ailsa and I, Lucy now being a permanent feature at the summit of nearby Ben Vorlich and Debbie being away for a socially distant walk with her mum near Bridge of Allan to mark Mothering Sunday.

Luna is still too young for a walk of this distance and duration so after taking her out for a short circuit round the lane, Ailsa and I had lunch then headed down to Auchterarder to deliver some supplies to my self-isolating parents before continuing over through Muthill and round to the start of the walk at Balloch Cottage.

Given the fine spring weather, the growing restrictions on our lives and the fact that much had been said in the media over the previous few days about the need to get out for exercise in the face of what was effectively house arrest, I had expected to see a few cars parked up by the gate at the end of the forestry track. As it turned out, there was only one other car but no sign of the occupant or occupants. I had spent some of the drive thinking about which Munros or Corbetts I might be able to target over the coming weeks if the good weather kept up. Although school is now out, a holiday it is not going to be, but the scheduled Easter fortnight is only 2 weeks away. It is an indicator of just how fast things are moving in this crisis, that little did I know that within just over 24 hours we were going to be in almost total lockdown and facing the prospect of being fined for going out for anything other than life critical reasons. I'm not sure that the "one bit of exercise a day" thing could be stretched as far as to mean an overnighter to Mullardoch! :crazy:

We quickly got our walking boots on and headed through the gate - Ailsa's first opportunity to pose for some "now" photos which she couldn't wait to compare to the "then" photos when we got back home. :lol:

1.JPG
Rickety old wooden gate in 2011

IMG_9948.JPG
Upgraded to a new metal version in 2020 - much better for climbing on!

2.JPG
Personal mountain sherpa service in 2011 - those days are long gone!

I knew she would be enchanted with the piece of forest furniture just round the corner at the first junction, and true enough, she insisted on another photo opportunity! :lol:

3.JPG
Fairy Table 2011

IMG_9950.JPG
9 more years of withstanding the elements

The track twists and dips a little before the next junction where a right turn leads to a big long steady climb up the straight track to the first of two gates through deer fences.

4.JPG
2011 - cadging a lift up the long steady climb

IMG_9951.JPG
2020 - making her own way up the long steady climb

We passed a dead hare in the ditch on the right hand side of the track, pretty freshly dead by the looks of it. Had we been much further into the current Corona madness, I might have been tempted to take it home for the stock pot! :shock:

We soon reached the first gate where we had lunch 9 years ago. No lunch today - just a Cadbury's creme egg for Ailsa and a cereal bar for me.

IMG_9974.JPG
Ailsa opening the first gate - scene of lunch break 9 years ago

5.JPG
Lunch stop in 2011

IMG_9954.JPG
Time for a creme egg - one of the few things you can still find in the shops these days!

Up to this point, the walk is a pretty tedious plod up a track through pretty dense spruce plantation, but beyond the first gate, the trees thin, spruce giving way to a more mixed woodland.

6.JPG
Lucy on the steep right turn just above the second gate - 2011

IMG_9955.JPG
Ailsa on the steep right turn just above the second gate - 2020

7.JPG
Back in 2011, this section reminded me of the upper reaches of Moncreiffe Hill on ascent from the Tay side

IMG_9956.JPG
It still does today

After a wee while a steep grassy path branches left off the track for the final pull up to the summit trig point with fine views across Strathearn and north towards the bigger hills of the southern Highlands. After a short stop for a bit of tree climbing, we soon topped out and engaged in a bit of predictable trig point jumping! :D

IMG_9959.JPG
Into the open for the final section of ascent

IMG_9961.JPG
Me with a tree growing out of the top of my heid!

8.JPG
Same tree 9 years ago

IMG_9962.JPG
Youth leading the way in 2020

IMG_9964.JPG
Cheeky monkey 1

IMG_9963.JPG
Cheeky monkey 2

IMG_9965.JPG
Cheeky monkey 3

IMG_9967.JPG
North towards the Glen Turret hills on the brink of lockdown

9.JPG
Nappy changing in 2011

IMG_9968.JPG
9 years on - from nappy change to trig climbing

IMG_9970.JPG
Ready......

IMG_9972.JPG
Steady......

IMG_9969.JPG
Jump!

10.JPG
Dad and daughter at the top of Torlum in 2011

IMG_9973.JPG
Dad and daughter at the top of Torlum in 2020

9 years ago we stopped off at the Glover's Arms at Huntingtower on the way home. No such stop this time. It was straight home to prepare for a new world of working and schooling from home, pub closures and imminent lockdown.

I know not when my (or Ailsa's!) next hill day will be but I sincerely hope my current 2020 total of one new Corbett and a repeat of Torlum is not the end of the story for the year! :crazy:

Stay safe folks, look after yourselves and your families and enjoy what little local walking you can reasonably manage over the coming weeks. Let's hope we can all be out on the bigger routes again soon!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Torlum and a lockdown memory lane

Postby kevsbald » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:40 am

Great wee report. Love the chronology time flip. Can’t believe the size of her.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland