walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach, what a mountain.

Liathach, what a mountain.

Postby mamoset » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 21/05/2019

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1320m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was our 3rd day in Torridon. We arrived late on Sunday, checked in to the Youth Hostel and headed straight up Beinn Alliginn. Due to the weather closing in while we headed from Sgurr Mor to Tom na Gruagaich, we didn't get back to the hostel until 4.00am :? 2nd day, cloud still covered the tops, so we walked round to Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair, where we could barely see anything. On our last day, my sons had to get home in readiness for work, me and Simo had to choose between Liathach and Beinn Eighe. Easy choice really, as we wanted to complete the whole of Beinn Eighe, which was initially our 2nd day plan. The boys dropped us off at the car park near Allt an Doire Ghairbh, we said our goodbyes, and set off up the obvious route, straight up into Coire Liath Mhor.
P1020944.JPG
Coire Liath Mhor.
The cloud was still hanging as we gained height, and a slight drizzle had started. It is relentless going up and up, and we were just hoping for a break in the cloud so we could at least see Liathach in all its glory.
P1020946.JPG
Steep!! But blue sky showing.
After 2 hours we finally reached the bealach, where looking around, the cloud appeared to be lifting.
P1020953.JPG
Sail Mhor on Beinn Eighe.
The Munro Top of Stuc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig was our first destination.
P1020964.JPG
Looking to Stob a' Choire Liath Mhor, cloudy Beinn Alligin & Beinn Dearg.
Cloud was proving to be stubborn, but as it was warming up, we were hopeful it would disappear. Followed the obvious path off Stuc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig, making for the next Munro Top of Stob a' Choire Liath Mhor.
P1020978.JPG
Beinn Eighe & Stuc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig.
Was a bit of a trudge up Liath Mhor, but the fantastic views that Torridon offers continue to spur you on :clap:
P1020981.JPG
Beinn Alliginn to Beinn an Eoin.
P1020983.JPG
Baosbheinn.
It was easier going from Liath Mhor to Munro No.1 Spidean a' Choire Leith.
P1020991.JPG
Beinn Eighe & the Eastern Munro Tops of Liathach.
On summiting the Munro, if you are lucky, you get a "wow" moment that will take some beating, the view to Mullach an Rathain is just awesome.
P1020996.JPG
Up Coireag Cham to Mullach an Rathain.
P1020995.JPG
Mullach an Rathain & Beinn Alligin.
P1020997.JPG
Spidean a' Choire Leith summit.
Sat here a while, taking in the splendour of Torridon. It really is fantastic to drink in views like these. Then it gets better, with the fun of Am Fasarinen lying ahead. After completing the Aonach Eagach last week, we figured Am Fasarinen would be no problem, and so it proved. In fact, the escape paths below, looked more exposed than we were climbing over each stage :lol:
P1030002.JPG
Am Fasarinen.
P1030009.JPG
Am Fasarinen getting closer.
P1030013.JPG
Sgurr Mor, Horns & Beinn Dearg.
P1030028.JPG
Just a part of the route.
P1030030.JPG
Spidean above Am Fasarinen.
Once you are clear of Am Fasarinen, it's around 150m ascent over decent ground to reach Mullach an Rathain.
P1030039.JPG
Route to Mullach an Rathain.
P1030053.JPG
Down into Coireag Cham.
P1030059.JPG
Mullach an Rathain summit.
P1030060.JPG
Beinn Alligin enjoying the sun.
After a bit of break, we headed off to the scree slope we could see from our room at the Youth hostel, seemed like it would bring us out closer than the marked way.
P1030090.JPG
Our down route.
P1030072.JPG
Upper Loch Torridon.
A great 3 days, topped off with having the pleasure of climbing this fantastic mountain. Only downside, this coronavirus has meant our organised trip at the end of May this year has now been cancelled. :thumbdown:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Liathach, what a mountain.

Postby steviesea » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 pm

It's a bass stud isn't it :( I was also heading up that way around the same time, but sadly not now and I've just tortured myself by reading your report and looking at those epic tantalising photos as Liathach was hopefully top of my list. Just have to keep reminding myself that the hills will still be there(just hope that I am :roll: )
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:87   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Hewitts:42

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm

Enjoyed reading that - thanks! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mamoset » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:21 pm

steviesea wrote:It's a bass stud isn't it :( I was also heading up that way around the same time, but sadly not now and I've just tortured myself by reading your report and looking at those epic tantalising photos as Liathach was hopefully top of my list. Just have to keep reminding myself that the hills will still be there(just hope that I am :roll: )

It sure is stevie. Highly recommended for when you can get out again, though I suspect the hills will be over-ran with eager walkers when the madness subsides :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby mamoset » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:23 pm

dogplodder wrote:Enjoyed reading that - thanks! 8)

Needed some way to curb the boredom, TR's seem the ideal way, so you're welcome :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:48 pm

Great images of this outstanding hill. Thanks, reports like this help keep us going!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mamoset » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 am

No problem Mal, good time to play catch up and relive some memories :D
Last edited by mamoset on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby dav2930 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:20 am

Nice one Mamoset. Thanks for giving us the chance to relive your adventure through your fine photos. Just what we need :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:20 pm

dav2930 wrote:Nice one Mamoset. Thanks for giving us the chance to relive your adventure through your fine photos. Just what we need :clap:

Hi dav, it's been a while since i did a TR, now seemed perfect :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 pm

Great reminder of the splendours of a truly wonderful mountain. This was one of the first mountains I walked when I got back into hill walking in 2014, and it's still one of the absolute best. Your report just reminds me that I need to get up there again as soon as all this is over. Mind you, I've always rated Beinn Eighe slightly higher, simply because of the sensational views you get of Liathach from many places along its ridge.

Great stuff. Thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mamoset » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:13 am

Alteknacker wrote:Great reminder of the splendours of a truly wonderful mountain. This was one of the first mountains I walked when I got back into hill walking in 2014, and it's still one of the absolute best. Your report just reminds me that I need to get up there again as soon as all this is over. Mind you, I've always rated Beinn Eighe slightly higher, simply because of the sensational views you get of Liathach from many places along its ridge.

Great stuff. Thanks for posting. :thumbup:

Hi Alte. Hope you manage to get up there soon, it was my plan to take in Beinn Eighe in all it's glory in May, but it looks like that won't be happening now :( Glad I could invoke some memories for you :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby petectid » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:07 am

Brought back memories of a great day. I'm sat here now looking across at the Torridon hills from home. The weather isn't great if that is any consolation, blowing at between 45 and 50mph at sea level with frequent showers, most of the snow has melted since its gone quite mild 9+ C. Better weather later in the week but we can't go out either. I am toying with the idea of walking up to Fìonn loch but this my be a breach of the rules as it would take at least half a day, so I'm not surè about that, better stay in.
petectid
Munro compleatist

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:58   Islands:4

Postby mamoset » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:27 pm

petectid wrote:Brought back memories of a great day. I'm sat here now looking across at the Torridon hills from home. The weather isn't great if that is any consolation, blowing at between 45 and 50mph at sea level with frequent showers, most of the snow has melted since its gone quite mild 9+ C. Better weather later in the week but we can't go out either. I am toying with the idea of walking up to Fìonn loch but this my be a breach of the rules as it would take at least half a day, so I'm not surè about that, better stay in.

Hi pete. I reckon even with those weather conditions your view is better than mine!!! :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland