walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

memories of pre-coronian times

memories of pre-coronian times

Postby jacob » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:49 pm

Route description: Cìr Mhòr and Beinn Tarsuinn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn

Date walked: 09/09/2019

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, okay. Never had I planned on writing a tripreport on this walk (two days and a wildcamp for just Beinn Tarsuinn, am I taking the pish?). But I'm stuck here at home, mainland Europe, in a voluntary lockdown with headache, sore throat and painful chest. While not two weeks ago I thought I would by now be organising my gear now for my upcoming holiday,

It is true, some comments I've read in the forum keep us aware that when not being able to go out, reading about going out, and seeing photos of the outdoors is a poor but very necessary substitute. And I've seen some nice reports, I've read about the joy, the fear, the glory, the cold, the hot, the pain and the rewards of hillwalking and mountaineering, and I want to make my small contribution.

In my report on Slioch, and after that my report on Beinn Fhada, I mentioned that during my last holiday, in between those hills I drove south and visited Arran, where I was going to meet a friend. Let's call him G. G is a Scotsman living in NL but he was visiting family in Glasgow, so Arran would be a nice place to meet. In retrospect, the drive from Kinlochewe to Arran and from Arran back to Morvich for just one Corbett was too long, over the top, unnecessary and unwanted. But hey, I have seen Arran now, it had already been on my wishlist, and I have not been disappointed.

I arrived the day before we would meet, which would give me a chance to explore the island and Brodick a bit. It also meant I would spend the night, an activity for which I choose Glen Rosa campsite. The well kept lawn and idyllic setting could however not make up for the absolute midge infested experience it gave me.

SAM_3118.JPG

The next day, I woke up quite early but lingered around for a bit, trying to dry out my tent. I was however chased by the midges, so I drove off to Brodick, went for a coffee and a full vegetarian Scottish breakfast in a small hotel. The breakfast was excellent, the coffee was very UK style: I like mine a bit, no very very much, stronger.

Back to the car, dry out tent and gear while waiting for G.

SAM_3120_LI.jpg

The waiting for G lasted and lasted though, forcing me to again have a bite somewhere, visit some shops from which I needed nothing, and I never thought I'd ever say this about being in Scotland, but I got a little bit bored. It wasn't before the end of the afternoon, I think 5'ish before his ferry arrived and we could drive to the same midge infested carpark that I had left early that morning.

SAM_3122_LI.jpg

Not knowing how far we'd get or how far we'd like to go, and keeping in mind it was late afternoon already, we decided to bring my tent and make it a wildcamp. Triangle marks the spot.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk in to Glen Rosa is on a 4x4 track, not very exiting, but the views towards Glen Rosa are beautiful and very promising. The corbetts are impressing, craggy and sharp.

SAM_3124.JPG

As soon as we'd crossed the little bridge, we headed left, up the slopes and towards Beinn Nuis. the going was slow though, very slow. G had lost a lot of his previous hillfitness, as this was his first time after several years, the ground was boggy and the wind was quite strong.

SAM_3128.JPG

SAM_3135.JPG

The ridge from Beinn Nuis towards Beinn Tarsuinn looks quite daunting from this low perspective, and the weather seemed to be really closing in on us. So instead of going up the ridge, in the evening in this weather, we found a less than proper pitch for our tent.

SAM_3137.JPG

SAM_3143.JPG

The skies over Goatfell were wonderfull though, so after a chilly evening of enjoying them we headed for a very bumpy, uneven, back ruining, painful bed.

SAM_3145.JPG

Next morning, all pain had been forgotten. The tent survived the strong winds at night, breakfast tasted pretty good, skies were clear and spirits high.

SAM_3153.JPG

So off we go, photos that go without explanation.

SAM_3155.JPG

SAM_3165.JPG

SAM_3174.JPG

SAM_3193.JPG

SAM_3208.JPG

SAM_3213.JPG

SAM_3216 (2).JPG

As you can see from the map, we didn't take in Cir Mhor, nor Goatfell, but the returnroute over Beinn a Chliabhain sure provides some nice panoramas.

So there it is. Not the most adventurous walk (although it took us 2 days :lol: ), nor an epic tale of an epic expedition, but as I said: since we're all convined to our houses, I hope this brings back good Arran memories for some, and an "must-go-to-Arran-itch" for others. See you all in better times.

Jacob
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: memories of pre-coronian times

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:39 pm

Wonderful landscape, thanks for the reminder!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Arran takes a lot of beating (in both the landscape quality and midgey stakes!). "Scotland in miniature" as someone perfectly described it.

Your comment on the "coffee" is a surprise to me: as an old UK hillwalking hand, you must have known what to expect... :roll: :lol: :roll:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jacob » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:46 am

Mal Grey wrote:Wonderful landscape, thanks for the reminder!

Thank you, it is absolutely beautiful there.
Alteknacker wrote:Arran takes a lot of beating (in both the landscape quality and midgey stakes!). "Scotland in miniature" as someone perfectly described it.

Your comment on the "coffee" is a surprise to me: as an old UK hillwalking hand, you must have known what to expect... :roll: :lol: :roll:

Haha, I am sorry, but UK coffee keeps on surprising me, everytime again. The semi-voluntary lockdown I find myself in, has one advantage:

SAM_3582.JPG
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland