walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mishaps and magic on the Culra 4.

Mishaps and magic on the Culra 4.

Postby mamoset » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:21 am

Route description: Aonach Beag: Four Munros from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Èibhinn, Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder)

Date walked: 26/06/2019

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 50 km

Ascent: 1420m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was time for our first bike / hike for a while, and true to form, it didn't go according to plan :roll: Parked in Dalwhinnie, near the old hall on a glorious morning, were soon ready and set off on the road alongside Loch Ericht. All was good, until, about 4.5 miles in, for some unexplained reason, the derailleur on Simo's bike decided to get tangled in his rear wheel :? We dumped it in the trees, ready to pick up later, and proceeded on foot, with me pushing mine until near Loch Pattack for later. Not to be put off, we headed on the path for Culra Bothy, with plenty of cyclists on good bikes going by :lol:
P1030108.JPG
Beinn Bheoil to Carn Dearg.
P1030119.JPG
The mighty Ben Alder, not today though.
P1030120.JPG
Sgor Iutharn and Geal Charn.
It was really warm in the valley bottom, but we made decent time heading for Bealach Dubh high point.
P1030130.JPG
Loch Ossian from the bealach.
After a stop for food and re=apply sun cream, the yomp over land began, heading round Sron Ruadh and making for Coire a' Charra Bhig. This was the hardest part of day, quite relentless over uneven ground, but at the same time, it's good to be off the regular tracks at times.
P1030137.JPG
Ascent route.
Finally, after around 5 hours, we reached the ridge. We dumped our packs here, and headed straight up to Beinn Eibhinn.
P1030146.JPG
The ridge to Beinn Eibhinn.
P1030149.JPG
Beinn a' Chaorainn & Creag Meagaidh from the ridge.
Finally, we reached the first Munro, Beinn Eibhinn. 8)
P1030164.JPG
Beinn Eibhinn summit.
P1030170.JPG
The Ben.
It now felt like the hardest part of the day was over, so with renewed energy, we headed straight off for our next stop, Aonach Beag.
P1030158.JPG
The route to Aonach Beag & Geal Charn.
45 mins later, we stood atop Aonach Beag.
P1030179.JPG
Aonach Beag summit.
Had a quick chat with a group who were doing the same 4 as us, but in the opposite direction. We had discussed that route, but we would rather come off the last Munro nearer to "home", hence the longer walk in. I'm sure both routes have their merits. :D
P1030189.JPG
Looking back to Beinn Eibhinn & Aonach Beag.
It is lovely ground to walk on up here, and again it didn't take long to reach Geal Charn.
P1030191.JPG
Geal Charn summit.
It was really hot now, and we were glad of a bit of descent to take us into a bit of shade, ready for Carn Dearg.
P1030213.JPG
Carn Dearg & Loch an Sgoir.
It's a loose path leading down, before you head over the Munro Top of Diollaid a' Chairn and on to Carn Dearg.
P1030220.JPG
Platform stone.
P1030235.JPG
Loch an Sgoir & Sgor Iutharn crags.
P1030258.JPG
Carn Dearg summit.
Had a bit of a siesta here, before making our way down, heading straight for Loch Pattack.
P1030263.JPG
Beinn Bheoil & Ben Alder.
P1030249.JPG
Beinn a' Chlachair.
P1030265.JPG
Loch Pattack doesn't look that far!!!
P1030275.JPG
Loch Pattack.
P1030279.JPG
Geal-Charn, A'Mharconaich & Beinn Udlamain.
Reaching Loch Pattack was bliss, but we still had to get the broken bike back to the car. I left Simo and cycled back to the car wondering if I could drive back and pick him and the bike up :? As luck would have it, I bumped into a forestry worker and explained my predicament to him. Seemingly unimpressed, he drove off, but as I approached the tunnel, I noticed he was waiting, and when I reached him, he gave me the 4-pin code to raise the gate :lol: What a man!! So, I got the car and headed straight back along the track, meeting Simo at his bike. Later than expected, but happier, we headed off home, where more woe befell us, as I had a run-in with a badger at 50mph. Luckily (for me at least) the damage to my car was not too bad, don't know how the badger fared :shock:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Mishaps and magic on the Culra 4.

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:12 pm

Excellent stuff, hills I've not yet got to.

You could probably sell that 4-digit code for £50 a go to tired walkers coming out who have one fast member of the party they could send to fetch the car; you certainly could have done for a group we met at Newtonmore Hostel who'd been over the Fara in winter and then had to walk all the way back out :wink:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Mishaps and magic on the Culra 4.

Postby mamoset » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Excellent stuff, hills I've not yet got to.

You could probably sell that 4-digit code for £50 a go to tired walkers coming out who have one fast member of the party they could send to fetch the car; you certainly could have done for a group we met at Newtonmore Hostel who'd been over the Fara in winter and then had to walk all the way back out :wink:

Cheers Mal. That's not a bad idea for the code, except I can't remember it :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland