walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boriswalking with Black Panther: Creag na Manachainn

Boriswalking with Black Panther: Creag na Manachainn

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Date walked: 29/03/2020

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 345m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After visiting Ord Hill on Saturday, we decided to climb another part of Beauly Ridge on Sunday, this time including a TUMP, Creag na Manachainn. We have walked up to Loch nam Bonnach before but never bothered to look for the exact top of the hill, simply because it's hidden in the forest. Now, claiming the exact summit of Creag na Manachainn suddenly became a priority :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sunday morning was sunny if a bit windy, but no showers forecast so we agreed we could spend a couple of hours outside as long as we kept social distancing (it isn't that difficult in the countryside). The first half of today's Boris walk was on tarmac road all the way to Ruilick, then a good forest track to Loch nam Bonnach, with a short, pathless detour to the trig point. I was surprised to see a lot of the trees cut down, but I guess it is not that unusual with the commercial forest :(

Track_CREAG NA MANACHAINN 13,3KM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We left the village and soon started climbing up the minor road past Croyard:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 008.JPG

Weather was lovely but a bit cold. Much clearer views today, especially towards Beauly Firth:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 002.JPG

Having passed Ruilick, we entered the forest through a metal gate (tree feeling warning signs in place, but it was all quiet today). Very quickly, we spotted the signs of the recent tree feeling:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 009.JPG

Many pieces of heavy machinery were parked along the track - I wonder if the tree cutting is still going on or has it been suspended due to the lockdown? Impossible to say on Sunday.
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 012.JPG

The track continues through the forest:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 020.JPG

From time to time, there are gaps in the trees, with good views back to Beauly Firth:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 021.JPG

The track climbs gently to about 300m and passes several gates. So far, we haven't met a single soul, but from the higher ground we could admire higher hills, like Ben Wyvis...
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 025.JPG

...and Beinn a Bha'ach Ard:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 027.JPG

At its highest point, the track turns left (west) and descends slightly to reach Loch nam Bonnach. This was the nicest part of today's walk:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 030.JPG

The loch and Torr Breac, our next Boriswalking target :
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 036.JPG

Bwen Wyvis (right) and Cnoc Udais (in front) from across the loch:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 034.JPG

Zoom to Wyvis:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 032.JPG

Loch nam Bonnach is a very picturesque spot. Usually, it is possible to sit on the stony beach, but today the loch was full to bursting, the whole beach was under water. We lingered for a few minutes, taking photos and sinking in the views, but the nippy wind eventually persuaded us to retreat back up the track and into the forest. Once on our way back, Kevin suggested we could look for the exact summit of Creag na Manachainn. It is marked with a trig point so it shouldn't be that difficult to find, even if there is no path to the top...
OK, he really means it!
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 040.JPG

View east through the trees:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 041.JPG

And there it is! An actual listed hill summit! :lol: :lol:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 042.JPG

It might only be a TUMP but it felt fantastic to actually be able to walk up to a summit of something during the lockdown! Even if it is hidden in the forest with hardly any views!
TUMP no. ... Arghhhh! I haven't got a clue! Never bothered to count my TUMPS :lol: :lol: :lol:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 044.JPG

We returned to the forest track and retraced our steps back to the village, accompanied by nice views:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 048.JPG

We were mildly surprised how quiet this route was, especially that it was a Sunday. We saw one cyclist and one dog walker on the way down plus several locals walking in their gardens. No problem with social distancing :D
We made Boris proud :wink:
2020-03-29 creag na manachainn 049.JPG

Kevin went back to work on Monday, so the next longer Boris walk will have to wait till the next weekend, but I continue to do my daily jogging along Beauly River, so might post something about this route, too (it's a lovely circuit though flat). Also, I should really start writing up our pending reports from early March. At the moment, I'm busy making spare face masks for Kevin. Hopefully, he won't catch anything at work. So far, he's had no problems with keeping the distance when delivering - people are very understanding. In the current situation we simply have to support each other and obey the rules. Together, we will beat corona!

Stay safe :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Boriswalking with Black Panther: Creag na Manachainn

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 pm

You get some bonnie views from the Beauly hills ... when we can take a car to the hills again we should explore its relatively :roll: local :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Boriswalking with Black Panther: Creag na Manachainn

Postby litljortindan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Good to see someone making the most of the walking from home. Looks a good walk to a fine destination and noted for future reference, whenever that might be.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland