walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up My Stairs

Up My Stairs

Postby Sgurr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm

Date walked: 02/04/2020

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Participants Just the one
Weather Clement
Time taken Secret
Fitbit steps 48, stairs only, not the long walk in

As confirmed Marilyn baggers, we don't necessarily take the scenic route, but drive to the beginning. The next two photos are the scenic bits

Out of the cellar. Now going south

If you do it in the dark this is where the security light senses movement and turns on, but to be safe you should take a head torch for the first bit. Now going west

That's the end of the scenic bit and where we usually start. But no cutting corners and taking a train

And these mountain bikes are well secured to the wall, so leave them alone too

Time to brace yourself for the LONG WALK IN. We were stopped in the carpark for Dreish and Mayar once and had to fill in a questionnaire about putting the car park further away from the mountains to give them an added degree of solitude and getting people used to the long walk in. We ticked the "No" box. Not that we couldn't do it at that age (mid fifties), but we foresaw a time (like now) when we wouldn't be able to do it. However, we can still do this long walk in, though if this malarkey goes on for much longer it too might have a question mark. Now going east.

South, and possibly head-torch time again

Now heading east. Those who want a real work-out can run up here. We stopped irunning the stairs since our experience at the last house when we were training for Bulgaria and joined by younger people who nearly took a header through the glass window at the bottom by doing the stairs two at a time. This is not recommended.

Memento of what I used to do. 2nd hand booksellers get very used to climbing up stairs carrying heavy loads. When rotund people with office jobs entered and said "I shall do this when I retire" I used to smile and say "It's really enjoyable" but, with venomous pronunciation in my head thought "And are you going to hire somebody to climb up and down attic stairs and sort out all the student texts with highlights? Because you won't earn enough and will have to be FIT.""

This is blurred, because it is the family heirloom, sold to my father when he was too old to know better by a shyster who took a genuine (lesser) artist in part exchange. It isn't John Constable, but I was never allowed to question this.

My mother bought this from a nice Canadian artist to remind her of the time she had gone to teach in Canada Just think, I could have been Canadian. When a Canadian tourist left a maple leaf hat in my shop, and obviously wasn't returning, I embezzled at. it was shaming to find out how much more popular you are as a Canadian than a member of ones own country UK.. Even better, I am afraid than being Scots.

Now turning south again. My husband brought back this rug from Peru when I did't get to go (BOOOO) because he was filling a late vacancy in a party of 4 guys. He accidentally stumbled across the standard best bargaining technique by walking away , not as a ploy, he had just run out of money. The guy then ram after him and offered it at his last bid.

Round we go. There is a small corner where you can stand if you have run out of breath and let people from the other way go by.

Still going east

Image[

Got this from a Moscow visit. I think the proletariat are supposed to be sweeping away the capitalists, but these days it is probably Putin sweeping away everyone

Sister gardening, painted by her husband. She doesn't much like hills, but at least I have her to thank for coming with me up my first Munro Eididh na Clach Geala

You will all know where this is. Bought from a B & B owner north of the Fisherfield. He gave us the advice to climb Beinn Dearg Beag by the north ace rather than up the bealach between the two. I swore at him all the way back, but had to agre he was right when coming down from the bealach

We bought this in Harris driving round all the galeries of the Golden Road

This is what you need to get you to the next bit

In fact, we're not going up the next bit, because it involves getting a chair out to stand and pull the ladder down, and we are trying (if failing) to avoid doing anything that might involve MRT
ImageP1010056
Last edited by Sgurr on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Up My Stairs

Postby denfinella » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:50 pm

Since you appear to have posted this twice... are we going to get a new walk report every time you use your stairs? :lol:

Looks a nice walk, though quite a direct ascent - recent rain doesn't seem to have affected conditions underfoot...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Sgurr » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:18 am

denfinella wrote:Since you appear to have posted this twice... are we going to get a new walk report every time you use your stairs? :lol:

Looks a nice walk, though quite a direct ascent - recent rain doesn't seem to have affected conditions underfoot...

Oh dear, so I have. Don't know how that happened. No, rain only affects the bottom bit, though we used to get cellar flooding until we won our 10 year battle with the water board and they re-angled the pipe s in sudden storms it flowed out of our house into the main drain instead of vice versa. I can't think why the occupants in the previous century didn't notice, or maybe it never happened with them as it didn't rain hard enough.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby madprof » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 am

denfinella wrote:Since you appear to have posted this twice... are we going to get a new walk report every time you use your stairs? :lol:

Is this not a series? I don't have Netflix so this would be a substitute.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby MrsOrr » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:33 am

Love the painting of your sister.
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland