walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Down My Stairs

Down My Stairs

Postby Sgurr » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Date walked: 03/04/2020

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having gone up my stairs in a previous report, and having had Mad Prof suggesting it might become a Netflix series. Here is Part 2. Down My Stairs is an altogether more dangerous and precipitous walk. I have to be careful, since in an effort to extend our range, husband and I went out for a cycle ride a couple of Days ago, yes April 1st, but I can assure you this isn’t an April Fool, and he smashed into a bollard. This necessitated a visit to A & E and he now has a mended hip and a still broken arm, which I think they might leave to mend itself. So teetering at the top oy My Stairs. I remind myself that life can be dangerous. We spent so long boasting about my birthday A’Mahighdean climb last May that we had forgotten we are OLD.
There is a short walk in from where you can see the picture in Part 1.

Here we get to the top of the stairs

Looking up we can see that people with a head for heights need fear nothing here

The cupboard for keeping my loo roll hoard in

My hoard. ….slightly depleted. Never mind, I managed to book a Morrison delivery arriving on 12th.. NB NEVER put kitchen roll down the loo. I am speaking from experience here.

We also keep all the old slides we keep meaning to have another shot at turning into digital

The last effort was a bit blurred. Below, husband on a pre digital mountain somewhere. I don’t know, but someone (probably jmarkb if he ever looks at such nonsense) will tell me.

Here is a downhill stretch .
Just as well you saw most of the things on the walls going uphill as it is quite steep (Peruvian blanket again familiar from the ascent)

Mirror, mirror on the wall. I am sure it is just coincidence that a young house guest lost her footing at this point and went sliding down, hurting her ankle, not a desire to check her hair.

Round the corner.(See, I am wearing walking trousers if not boots)
Image[/url

You never saw this long stretch last time. The scene of the Battle of the Clothes Moths. They got my one and only cashmere sweater and when we came to look closely, think that some were living between the banisters.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iLwyjg]Image

Below is my fed up husband going off to spray yet again

And down again. This is the best place in the house for me to get another phone and try to find my smart phone by ringing it. We get Vodafone reception throughout this walk. You have to tuurn your head sideways to look at this, since I can't make it go the right way up. BUt it does give a slight frisson of danger.

Nice weather

At the bottom we now keep this painting by a local artist. She must like Skye as much as us, since it is called “Soft Light Over the Cuillins”

And round the corner again

You never saw this glimpse towards the front door last time, but it is becoming a bit overcast.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iLyenk]Image

Here we keep the series of various Mountaineering Club journals we have acquired over the years

Might get better weather the other direction

Back down towards the back door

Never showed you this on the way up, a print out o all the hills you can see from the top of St. Rule’s Tower, part of St. Andrews Cathedral.

I forget how much it costs to go up there now, since I make my annual pilgrimage up its 156 steps on St. Andrews Day, when it is free.

A wall hanging we got in South Africa. We went on a Ramblers holiday. Most of us were very compliant, but an older guy from Carlisle, who had only been dragged away from his rock-climbing pals in the Wilder Kaiser by his wife threatening to leave him if they didn’t have a joint holiday for once, grabbed my husband as the most likely looking accomplice and started hatching plans to get at distant hills until the leader got wind of it and told us they were PRIVATE and OFF LIMITS.
Image[/ur]

A print of St. Andrews
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iLydn4]Image

We used to have huge jumble of shells and stones here, but they have mostly been banished to a box so I can dust, just leaving a couple of sea urchins, some coral some mica and something I can’t remember what it is (no not the dinosaur. I know what that is)]

The grandchildren gave me this one Christmas. Probably the best present they have given me.

I think I’ll stop here and not bother going down the cellar steps (See Climbing My Steps) as husband falling off bike has made me feel my mortality. Just had a phone call from him, and they had been hoping to transfer him to the local hospital, but there are no beds, so he is still in Ninewells. On the plus side, he managed to walk to the window, with help.
Last edited by Sgurr on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Down My Stairs

Postby jmarkb » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Sgurr wrote:Below, husband on a pre digital mountain somewhere. I don’t know, but someone (probably jmarkb if he ever looks at such nonsense) will tell me.

jmarkb thoroughly enjoys such nonsense! He's on Sgurr na Sgine (Saddle + Forcan ridge in the background). Wishing him a speedy recovery - sounds nasty!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sgurr » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:08 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Below, husband on a pre digital mountain somewhere. I don’t know, but someone (probably jmarkb if he ever looks at such nonsense) will tell me.

jmarkb thoroughly enjoys such nonsense! He's on Sgurr na Sgine (Saddle + Forcan ridge in the background). Wishing him a speedy recovery - sounds nasty!

Thanks jmatkb. I have been up on his second round, and even plucked up courage for the Forcan Ridge, but I have a notoriously bad memory for different mountains, which is why I stick to the "Give me a P Bob...." quiz. He has been doing around an hours physio every morning for ages to try to sort his knee, his back etc, so he will be ultra compliant with new ones.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:29 pm

Great picture of your husband on the hills. Reminds me of the pictures in the early munro books. :D
Hope he gets out soon and makes a speedy recovery also. All the best to you both.
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Great picture of your husband on the hills. Reminds me of the pictures in the early munro books. :D
Hope he gets out soon and makes a speedy recovery also. All the best to you both.

Thanks.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Oh no, poor R! Bollards are dangerous - my mum fell over one a year or two ago (walking backwards...), but fortunately got away with bruises. I hope his recovery is smooth.

Love the art collection, though :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:35 pm

Tricky downwards sideways manoeuvre there. :roll:

Best wishes to R for a speedy recovery :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Hope there's a swift recovery for husband! The down stairs reminds me of:

But the series titles so far make me think of:

I've now got a pair of marigold gloves out for tomorrow's shopping trip. And we too have got a spray gun. It's window cleaner though so I don't know how effective that will actually be in dispersing coronavirus.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:05 pm

Had moth trouble eh? Brings back memories of my old flat in Sunderland which had wool carpets throughout :( In one room they'd eaten their way through a patch of a rug and somehow managed to carry the debris and leave a small mound of the stuff about half a foot away from the edge of the rug.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Re the dictionary definition of vertigo, I have subsribed to The Merriam Webster word of the day. I must have pushed a button somewhere and they pop up in my inbox getting more and more sinister by the week. We used to have oleaginnous, adumbrate and gallivant, but now we are getting ventilator, hoarding, furlough, ccocooning and virus.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Sgurr, you truly have a lot of stairs. I remember you posting advice to people asking how to improve their fitness and telling them to climb the stairs in thier house - now I appreciate why :D
Sorry to hear about your hubby - that's a terrible thing to happen at this time - speedy recovery wished for
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby vuirich » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:18 pm

Sgurr, Sorry to hear about Roger's accident. I hope he gets home soon and makes a swift recovery.
vuirich
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:64
Fionas:89   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:183   Hewitts:148
Wainwrights:214   Islands:27

Postby scoob999 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:58 pm

Me and Fi have done some well dodgy descents, but that looks beyond even our capabilities :shock:
We hope Rodger has a speedy recovery, sounds like him and Fi need stabilisers for their bikes :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Sgurr » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:05 pm

scoob999 wrote:Me and Fi have done some well dodgy descents, but that looks beyond even our capabilities :shock:
We hope Rodger has a speedy recovery, sounds like him and Fi need stabilisers for their bikes :lol:

The guys we went to A'Mhaighdean with for my birthday last year say they are going to club together to buy him some.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Gog the Mild » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:28 am

Are there plans to update the route with details of where the mattress jammed and MRT to be called in?
Gog the Mild
Munro compleatist

Munros:23   Corbetts:156
Fionas:149   Donalds:30
Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:3   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland