walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Mound (No, not the one in Edinburgh).

The Mound (No, not the one in Edinburgh).

Postby johnscot55 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:45 pm

Date walked: 02/04/2020

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3.2 km

Ascent: 5m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With all the normal hillwalking targets off limits at the moment, I set my sights on a climb that I had spied before, but had never had the nerve to tackle. As far as I know unnamed, I like to call it "The Mound, in the woods, just off the path that circumnavigates Cumbernauld House fields."
Weather would be crucial and after carefully taking all available information in hand (I looked out the living room window), Thurday the 2nd looked as if there would be a favourable window available, so it was all systems go. The team to take on the task would include myself, wife Cathie, daughter Louise and grandsons Matthew and Callan, all currently residing together at Basecamp 1 (my house). As team leader, after much consideration, I decided we should go light, so crampons, helmets, ropes etc were all left behind. I hoped we wouldn't regret that decision.
We set off from BC 1 at 16.30hrs and after a hard slog "The Mound" came into view some 25 minutes later, standing some 15 to 20ft above the surrounding landscape. It was decided wife Cathie would remain on the path, while myself, Louise and the boys would strike out into the woods to set up Basecamp 2 at the foot of The Mound. Leaving the path at around 16.55pm we were able to set up BC 2 some 2mins later at 16.57pm.
I had to make my mind up who would strike for the summit, and taking their experience into account, I chose the boys to accompany me to the top. Louise would await at BC 2 for our safe return.
As leader, I decided we would attack the climb, full frontal, straight up the steepest face. Off we set, no rest periods were taken and after a tough 30 seconds, we levelled off and gained the small plateau that was the The Mound summit.
What can I say? It felt great to be on a summit again and the views were absolutely OK. Kudos to daughter Louise who managed to pick us out on the summit and get our pic.
IMG-20200402-WA0005.jpg
Summit of "The Mound".

Soon, however, despite being on a summit high, it was time to descend and, taking care, we were able to return to BC 2 some 4 minutes after our departure. We collected Louise and began the trek back to the path where Cathie had been waiting a long, lonely 8 minutes. How good it felt to have the whole team safely together again. And my decision to climb without aids had been justified.
We all began the long journey back to BC 1, the highlight of which was passing the tree (sadly now dead) where Gregory and his girlfriend Susan had lain on their backs and danced, while considering life, in the film Gregory's Girl.
Eventually Base camp 1 was regained 1hr and 5 mins after our departure, but what an adventurous 65 minutes it was!!!
Seriously, this was just our very local, social distancing, exercise walk. Just helps to think of it in a different light😁!!!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Re: The Mound (No, not the one in Edinburgh).

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Enjoyed that, raised a welcome smile, many thanks. :clap: :clap: Was impressed by the way you'd arranged your ropes so they looked like a tree root :lol: :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: The Mound (No, not the one in Edinburgh).

Postby Sgurr » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Pretty tough that one, and fewer of the distractions of "Up my stairs" or "Down My Stairs" to keep the kids interested on the way. Nothing for it but to grit your teeth and go for it.

Well done. I have a friend who is an everything bagger and is now collecting overgrown interim O/S signs in bushes. He takes secateurs.There's a thought if you have no other delightful mountain near by.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland