walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First trip to Mull as Covid-19 looms large.

First trip to Mull as Covid-19 looms large.

Postby JimboJim » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:35 pm

Route description: Dùn da Ghaoithe, near Craignure

Corbetts included on this walk: Dùn da Ghaoithe

Date walked: 13/03/2020

Time taken: 4.7 hours

Distance: 14.8 km

Ascent: 843m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It has been a long time since I was out doing a new Munro. Early last November it was, up in Kintail doing the Five Sisters. Since then fitness has steadily deteriorated. Weather and circumstances just not working out right. More recently Coronavirus has invaded our shores.

At last a decent day comes along, with nothing else to hinder me. Travel restrictions were gradually getting introduced, but thought a trip within my own province was not too excessive and not being so fit, a Corbett like Dun da Ghaiothe, would make for a decent trip.

Early start to make the ferry from Oban. Still seemed about as busy as usual. Despite forecast DdG was shrouded in cloud at higher level as we left Bonnie Oban Bay. Enjoyed some nice views of snow capped hills to the north as the ferry made for the Sound of Mull, passing Lismore and Duart Castle.
024_1024_703.JPG
Dun da Ghaoithe, in early morning cloud.
032_1024_768.JPG
Eilean Musdile Light.

I can't say I was thrilled at the thought of walking to and from the walk start point, so decided to chance my luck hitching a lift. Sure enough I got lucky, picked up by a lovely young lass, hardly off the ferry. It's only a couple of miles out to Duart road end, but boy does it help!

From the start point, one is quickly faced with option of what road to take, as it splits left and right. Yes, you're right, I took the one to the left, which isn't right :D Quickly rumbled my mistake and returned to the road which rises steeply, then sharply turns to the left.
044_1024_696.JPG
Mainnir nam Fiadh, the first top, left and Dun da Ghaoithe, the Corbett, at 766m right.

From there, it is a pretty straight forward land rover track much of the way. Quite a long way, felt my legs. Gradually one reaches the tall masts, then the spectacular view of the snow covered summit and "ridge" emerges, rounding a corner. Wow. That looks more like it!
049_1024_768.JPG
Dished.
050_1024_768.JPG
Quite tasty looking.

Met a chap descending. He must have set off early? No, he had wild camped at upper mast. The previous day had been hellish weather. He tried for the top today, but had to abandon that plan as he'd run out of time needing to get an earlier ferry. Tough guy!
051_1024_768.JPG
Beinn Bhearnach, left.

Anyway, I kept on up, gradually reaching the snow line near the upper mast. The views of the summit and Meall a' Choire Mhoire, were just superb. Soon made it to the first top, which has a trig point and large cairn. Great views back to the mainland, picking out some of the Glencoe hills and the Ben, just about.
056_1024_768.JPG
Across to the summit.
058_1024_768.JPG
Just about reached the first top, Mainnir nam Fiadh.
059_1024_768.JPG
First top to the summit.

It's a nice walk over to the true summit, but, jeezo, it was cold! Took about 2.5 hrs to the summit. More great views of Ben More, Mull hills, etc though bit cloudy. Took as many pics as I could, but hands were frozen. Had to reverse use of hands, holding the camera with my right, operating shutter with left. (Rt hand had been holding walking pole, colder. Lt hand in pocket, warmer :lol: )
062_1024_768.JPG
Cracking shot to Ben More. A'Cioch and Beinn Talaidh in between.
063_1024_768.JPG
Beinn Talaidh. On the to do list..... god willing :)
064_1024_768.JPG
Ben More. A' Cioch foreground.

Didn't hang around and made back for the first top. Much to my delight, one of the Yeoman fleet, the Yeoman Bontrup, was heading outbound from Glensanda, enabling me to combine hobby of shipspotting and hillwalking. Superb! The Bontrup has a troubled history, but will leave you to explore that.
065_1024_768.JPG
Lochaline.
070_1024_768.JPG
Yours truly, at the summit - one of the coldest I remember.
072 a_1024_768.JPG
Looking back to the first top, Mainnir nam Fiadh.

Steadily wound my way down past the masts and back to the road, just under the four and three quarter hours. Time to exercise the thumb again and as before, soon got lucky with a lift back to Craignure. Plenty time for a pint at the hotel. No social distancing in place at this time, though I made ample use of the hand gel in my rucksack.
073_1024_768.JPG
Firth of Lorn, but no' sure what is what?
087_1024_768.JPG
Back to Mainnir nam Fiadh, the first top.
092_1024_768.JPG
The Yeoman Bontrup, makes her turn for the Sound of Mull.
123_1024_768.JPG
The Yeoman Bontrup.
127_1024_768.JPG
Glencoe hills beyond Lismore. Fraoichaidh, Bidean na Bian, Sgor na h-Ulaidh, Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Beinn Sgulaird.
131_1024_768.JPG
An impressive obstacle.
137_1024_768.JPG
M.V. Sound of Mull.

All too soon I was back on the ferry reflecting on a fun trip to Mull. A few days later we learned of a case of Coronavirus on Mull, perhaps one of the earliest in Argyll and as they say, that was that :( Confined to barracks!
Missing the hills badly, but like every everyone else, just praying our family and friends all come through this disaster and we can go hiking again someday.
139_1024_768.JPG
The Sound of Mull, heading back to Oban.
141_1024_688.JPG
The Sound of Mull, off Duart Castle and Eilean Musdile.
Attachments
114_1024_768.JPG
The Yeoman Bontrup transits Sgeir nan Gobhar and Glas Eileanan.
077_1024_768.JPG
Mainnir nam Fiadh.
Last edited by JimboJim on Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: First trip to Mull as Covid-19 looms large.

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:30 pm

Lovely - what a way to keep your hill memory bank well stocked - smashing photos :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby ere1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:36 pm

Hi Jimbo,

What a stunning trip and incredibly beautiful photo’s. Dun da Ghaoithe has up until now been the only Corbett which I have climbed twice. Fortunately, I was lucky with the weather. Looking at your photo’s makes me want to revisit the Highlands.

Cheers

Peter

DSCN4693.JPG
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 pm

Fabulous!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby JimboJim » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:53 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely - what a way to keep your hill memory bank well stocked - smashing photos :clap: :clap:

Mal Grey wrote:Fabulous!
ere1 wrote:Hi Jimbo,

What a stunning trip and incredibly beautiful photo’s. Dun da Ghaoithe has up until now been the only Corbett which I have climbed twice. Fortunately, I was lucky with the weather. Looking at your photo’s makes me want to revisit the Highlands.

Cheers

Peter

DSCN4693.JPG

Thanks, all. Unfortunately memory bank, like my cash bank, HuffnPuff - reserves getting low :lol:

Glad you like the pictures. I'm sure the desire to get to the highlands is growing very strong for most folk just now.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby R1ggered » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:51 pm

:clap: :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland