walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boris Walk - Creuch Hill and Berry Hill

Boris Walk - Creuch Hill and Berry Hill

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:12 pm

Date walked: 05/04/2020

Time taken: 6.09 hours

Distance: 25.1 km

Ascent: 724m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday - another long walk for two small nondescript hills.

2020-04-05_0923 Raw.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking for what else can reasonably be done from my front door, I reckoned that these two TuMPs, Creuch Hill and Berry Hill, sitting one on either side of the Old Largs road would be fair game. As happened yesterday, I met with Allison at the beginning of The Cut and we set off along the road. Lots and lots of cyclists out today, also more cars parked with people walking from them - a car at the start of the track to Corlic Hill, and at the next track, and down at Dowries. People are clearly getting fed up with the lockdown restrictions - and after Dr Calderwood decides she can drive 60 miles to her second home - while telling the plebs to "stay at home" then credibility is disappearing fast.

Good walking on the road, we rounded the south end of Loch Thom and continued on the Old Largs road for a bit, then cutting up onto the hillside to our left, going over Garvock Hill before catching sight of Creuch Hill. Not as boggy as I'd feared, some tussocks and heathery lumps to be negotiated. We paused for lunch in the lee of the summit of Creuch Hill, gazing out at the mountains across the water. Good views to the Sleeping Warrior, with little residues of snow left in the coires.

ImageDSC03229 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03230 by Al, on Flickr

Creuch Hill from Garvock hill
ImageDSC03232 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03233 by Al, on Flickr

The summit of Creuch Hill has the remains of an exploded trig column - rumour has it this was a well-directed Jerry bomb during Greenock's blitz. from here we headed SW, making for a track I'd noted on the map. This turned out to be the strangest track we've ever walked on - sheeted aluminium. According to notices, the project is to remove all the old electricity pylons - date for completion March 2020 - I could still see at least half a dozen pylons on the hillside... Anyway, the track made for better walking than the boggy ground and we returned to the Old Largs road. Along a bit to Rottenburn Bridge, at the junction of Inverclyde and North Ayrshire council boundaries. We had a small diversion to do Berry Hill from the bridge - again boasting good views from its meagre summit. Back to the road and the long walk home via the Cut, which was still busy with walkers, including one guy with a very large rucksack. Maybe he was going camping in the hills...

ImageDSC03235 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03236 by Al, on Flickr

Creuch Hill and metal road
Image[url=https:
//flic.kr/p/2iMeJdH]DSC03237[/url] by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03238 by Al, on Flickr

Berry Hill
ImageDSC03239 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03240 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03241 by Al, on Flickr

Arran
ImageDSC03242 by Al, on Flickr

Export Capital vs Better Life
ImageDSC03243 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03244 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03245 by Al, on Flickr

Maybe this is to be a new way to enforcing lockdown?
ImageDSC03246 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03247 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland