walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Wilds of Glen Beich

The Wilds of Glen Beich

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Date walked: 05/04/2020

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 457m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One of the advantages of living where I do is that I can take my daily allowed exercise on the local hills outside my door, and because there is as yet no limit on how long that exercise can be, I am free to walk as far as I like :D
On my walk from Killin to St. Fillans https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=94503 I climbed over a low ridge, descended into the upper reaches of Glen Beich, climbed back out of it on a track to the 450m beallach and descended Glen Tarken .

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This part of Glen Beich is extraordinarily remote, and if it were not for the hydro scheme, I suspect it would be visited hardly at all except by whoever farms the land. Not having taken any photos on the above trip, I felt minded to return to the tiny reservoir in the valley to remedy that omission.
I have found in the recent past, that driving 2 miles or so West from the St. Fillans village to a parking place, and starting directly up Glen Tarken, knocks well over an hour off the total walk time going up that glen. Although it is not encouraged, I decided to take the risk of arrest and incarceration and follow this practice today:lol: :lol: :lol:
7870.jpg
A track starts at this gate just beyond the car park
7873.jpg
And zig-zags up through oak woods to cross the cycle path/disused railway a few hundred metres East of the new bridge built by the park authority a few years ago
7876.JPG
Looking along the cycle path towards the bridge
7879.JPG
The track zig-zags quite steeply past some derelict cottages: I was feeling rather too warm at this point
Apart from Glen Vorlich almost all the valleys around Loch Earn are hanging: - you climb quite steeply for 2-300 metres and they then flatten out. As soon as I reached this level, a fresh breeze kept me at a pleasant temperature
5366.jpg
the track passes through a number of gates
7883.jpg
A solitary scots pine by the burn
5378.jpg

5388.jpg
you continue up the Western side of the glen
5400.jpg
Looking up to the head of the glen, and Creag Dhubh
7885.JPG
Eventually you come to a junction: down to the R the track circles round the head of the glen: straight on leads over the beallach into Glen Beich
7886.JPG
Looking back from the high point:
Just beyond here the track turns R and heads diagonally down to reach a small reservoir behind a dam.
7902.JPG
A solitary group of trees just below the dam: apart from these there is not a tree for miles :lol:
7889.JPG
The reservoir above the dam
7890.JPG
From the other side: the debris on the bank shows that it has been about 2m deeper recently - flowing right over the dam
7898.JPG
and the volume of debris shows how much of it is brought down by the burn in spate
7894.jpg
I pushed on 50m or so to where I had crossed the burn: a lot less water in it this time: what a wonderful spot to self-isolate :D the chances of meeting anyone here on a Sunday must be close to nil :lol: :lol:
7893.JPG
A wider view: at the head of the glen is a three way beallach: either carry on (Rob Roy Way) down to Ardeonaig on Loch Tay or head down R into Glen Lednock
7897.JPG
Looking North to the ridge: I must have come down from somewhere near the snow patches just R of centre
7907.JPG
Returning, the the track heads S for 50m or so and then turns R and goes diagonally up the hillside
7908.JPG
What a huge expanse of "nothing" there is at the top of this glen :) I heard a Curlew calling :D
7904.JPG
Zoomed viw of the Vorlich group - the weather was closing in and looking a bit threatening
On the way back I decided to climb the 50m or so to the top of Creag Dhubh - someone had told me it was a good viewpoint
Views from Creag Dhubh
7916.jpg

7921.JPG

7923.JPG
Views looking North - the weather was definitely deteriorating
7928.JPG
Looking down on to the high point of the track
7925.JPG
Down Glen Tarken
7924.JPG
A wider view of the whole glen with the track circling round its head
I got back to the car just as the first few drops of rain started to fall
Last edited by past my sell by date on Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: The Wilds of Glen Beich

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:53 pm

I'm not jealous, honestly, I'm not............................

I remember when doing the Rob Roy Way I got the map out at Lochan Breaclaich and noticed how I could easily (at least looking at the map) link up with the Glen Beich/Tarken track. Having already done the Sma Glen to Ardtalnaig, Comrie to Ardtalnaig and Comrie to Ardeonaig I might as well add this route to my list.

I'm off to read your linked report on the through route now.

Thanks for posting.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I'm not jealous, honestly, I'm not............................

I remember when doing the Rob Roy Way I got the map out at Lochan Breaclaich and noticed how I could easily (at least looking at the map) link up with the Glen Beich/Tarken track. Having already done the Sma Glen to Ardtalnaig, Comrie to Ardtalnaig and Comrie to Ardeonaig I might as well add this route to my list.

I'm off to read your linked report on the through route now.

Thanks for posting.

It sure is a wild area Gordie - not as dramatic as other parts of the highlands but wild with a capital W :lol:
I was up there again yesterday to knock off a Graham top Meall Daimh 693m - Litle fish are sweet at the moment :) . There was an awful lot of tussock and peat hags :( - I would only have gone in wery dry conditions :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:24 pm

I was intrigued by the clump of trees at the dam*** - which even the Woodland Trust couldn't identify - and I decided I had to return when they were in leaf to see what they were. It looks a long way on the map, but with the good track it only took me just over two hours .
_1080333.JPG
They can be seen from miles away and are the only trees in the upper valley
_1080333a.jpg
Zoomed view
_1080339.JPG
Close up
leaf01.jpg
Aspen
I was still unsure, but I found a leaf, took it home, photocopied it and confirmed that they were indeed Aspen :shock:
I was a bit surprised , but as I learnt from the John Muir Trust today :D Aspen was the first tree to colonise the British Isles after the ice age. and are very tolerant of soil conditions.
It seems quite possible that when the dam was constructed soil containing the seeds was disturbed and slightly sheltered from grazing by the riverbank they were able to grow.
There were masses of seedlings around - which just goes to show how much tree cover we could get back if only we could fence out the grazers for a while :(
***[EDIT- Actually Ithink it is just one tree]
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland