walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Last hill before a painful break

Last hill before a painful break

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:28 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 16/08/2010

Distance: 8.5 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This pandemic has closed the hills to us right at the start of spring, cancelling all those trips we'd been planning over the winter. I don't know about you but for me lockdown would be okay if I could escape to the hills for an occasional day. But that's not happening and with the death toll rising daily it's not likely to. All we can do is stay at home, get into cooking or gardening and applaud the key workers who are out there risking their own safety to save lives and keep us safe. And for some of us, being stuck at home and needing a hill fix, it might mean looking back at old photos of hills we'd forgotten.

For me unassuming Meall Buidhe was one of those. I think for two reasons.

1. It doesn't have the character of its neighbour Stuchd an Lochain (which a group of us climbed in 1997 to celebrate son Doug's 21st).

2. The events of the day were overshadowed by what happened two weeks later.

Back in 2010 Moira was about to retire from teaching. She liked the idea of being on a hill the day the schools went back so we planned to do that during a week Pete and I had booked a cottage by Loch Tummel.

Cottage by Loch Tummel
DSC01402-large.jpg

It had no mobile signal, no Wifi and no TV.

But it welcomed dogs and had a secure garden - more important to us than the above.

Dogs welcome
DSC01403-large.jpg

Secure garden
DSC01451-large.jpg

Dog heaven
DSC01406-large.jpg

DSC01407-large.jpg

Maps at the ready
DSC01411-large.jpg

Loch Tummel from north side
DSC01412-large.jpg

Our cottage was on south side at foot of Farragon Hill
DSC01413-large.jpg

The morning of the day the schools went back we parked by the Giorra dam of Loch an Daimh and followed the track initially up to the right then left as it traversed the hillside above the loch. I don't remember the peat hags mentioned in the WH description so they can't have been that bad.

Loch an Daimh and Meall Ghaordhaidh
Hillwalks 2010 170c.jpg

West end of Loch an Daimh
Hillwalks 2010 171c.jpg

I'm guessing this cairn marks the South Top (917m)
Hillwalks 2010 172c.jpg

Jack
Hillwalks 2010 169c.jpg

From the south top it was an easy stroll to the summit (932m)

View south to Meall Ghaordaidh (left) and Stuchd an Lochain (right)
Hillwalks 2010 175c.jpg

Meall Phuill in near distance round to the left
DSC01405-large.jpg

Moira and dogs at Meall Buidhe summit
Hillwalks 2010 173c.jpg

It was a fitting way to mark Moira's first day of retirement and we looked forward to future days going out midweek whenever the weather was good. But Meall Buidhe turned out to be Moira's last Munro for much longer than we could have imagined. Two weeks later she broke her ankle boulder-hopping over wet ground near Loch Etchachan on our way up Beinn Mheadhoin. And in that moment any more hills to celebrate her new freedom ground to a painful halt.

Ankle broken in three places but still smiling
DSC01496-large.jpg

Probably because help had arrived
DSC01500-large.jpg

DSC01505-larges.jpg

It took 8 days in hospital, surgery to reconstruct the ankle, months of physio, then more surgery a year later to remove the metalwork and repair a torn tendon before things were back to normal. But with patience and perseverance she got there and apart from an understandable dislike of similar terrain she's happy to tackle anything.

During the rest of the week Pete and I explored both sides of Loch Tummel, found an opsrey's nest a short walk from the cottage, climbed Meall Ghaordaidh, visited Loch Laidon from Rannoch station and went to spy out the Queen's View.

Row of houses on north side of loch
DSC01415-large.jpg

Somewhere around here was the Queen's View
DSC01416-large.jpg

Queen Victoria is said to have remarked that the view was named after her when she visited the area in 1866. What nobody liked to tell her was that the view was probably named after King Robert the Bruce’s wife, Queen Isabella of Scotland, over 550 years earlier.

DSC01429-large.jpg

Schiehallion
DSC01422-large.jpg

DSC01426-large.jpg

Clachan (Gaelic for village)
DSC01420-large.jpg

Tess with her stick
DSC01419-large.jpg

Partially restored black house
DSC01418-large.jpg

A black house was a simple stone dwelling with a turf or heather roof and no chimney. So the inside was coated in soot, hence the name 'black house'.

Allean Forest Trail
DSC01427-large.jpg

Miss this boy
DSC01428-large.jpg

We had a great week by Loch Tummel and I'd go back. A fine place to stay, places to visit and hills to climb - even if I did forget to write up Meall Buidhe!
Last edited by dogplodder on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Last hill before a painful break

Postby lowland » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:53 pm

:) In the light of what happened later, the sofa had a certain appeal!
lowland
Mountaineer

Munros:12   Corbetts:1

Postby R1ggered » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:37 pm

:clap: :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:33 pm

Unassuming Meall Buidhe may be but my recollection of this hill is that there are fabulous views of the Central Highlands from the summit. Good to see the hill getting an outing. :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:51 am

lowland wrote::) In the light of what happened later, the sofa had a certain appeal!

The sofa always has a certain appeal! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Unassuming Meall Buidhe may be but my recollection of this hill is that there are fabulous views of the Central Highlands from the summit. Good to see the hill getting an outing. :D :D

It does have good views but I can't have been in view capturing mode that day. It was pre report writing for WH so there wasn't the same incentive to document a walk then. 8)
dogplodder

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland