walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

People in Cities are saying 'Hello' to each other!

People in Cities are saying 'Hello' to each other!

Postby thedonalds » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Date walked: 11/04/2020

Time taken: 1 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not quite a walk report......On my lockdown walks around the part of Edinburgh where I stay I am meeting more and more people who say 'Hello' as they pass, or 'Thank you' if you step off the pavement to make more room for them to pass and I wondered if other city dwellers had noticed this behaviour?
Common enough practice when we are out on the hills or in the countryside but something that almost never happened in the cities before the lockdown arrived. And its more often the older people who are doing this (who are generally more civil anyway) but hopefully with more people out walking for the sake of it, the habit will spread. Maybe some good will come out of this mess after all...........
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Re: People in Cities are saying 'Hello' to each other!

Postby thedonalds » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:01 pm

I probably should have put this in the General Discussion forum..........apologies.
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Postby Sgurr » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 pm

More hellos between strangers here. Have also learned that I am not alone in having to stamp hard on my inner policewoman. However, I did explode to one perfect stranger when I spotted people had been leaving dog poo bags at the side of the sealed bins. He could better that: a woman with 2 shopping bags had come swaying towards him so he had stepped 2 m aside, at which she swayed towards him deliberately, and said "I'm not playing this game." "Game!" he said "GAME!!!!!!" I Have also learned of the collateral damage of this situation...someone who was supposed to go into hospital for injections into her eyes to stop her losing her sight like her Mum and brother, checked twice, paid horrendously for taxi, and was cancelled; and a woman whose aunt was getting a kidney transplant from a family donor....cancelled. But on the whole, people are being very nice and cheery, though this is a small town, not a big city.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:00 pm

This has happened down here in Surrey too. On my exercise walks, most people are saying hello, some are even stopping for a socially-distant chat about it all, or about nature which is nice. Unheard of in suburban Surrey before!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby RocksRock » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 pm

And, perhaps astonishlingly, here in the Big Smoke a few miles north of Mal Grey. My footwork is getting quite nifty, crossing roads, dogdging behind parked cars and so forth, efforts ofter rewarded with a cheery wave of thanks, as are others similar efforts for me. Sadly we do still have cyclists coming up from behind while on the pavement and passing 1 foot away............ no dodging that I'm afraid.. And so many cyclists without helmets with ICUs at full tilt.............................

Stil there are many pleasant experiences to be had round here, for which I am very grateful. And the blossom is glorious, if passing over v quickly - my front path this morning looked as though the giants had been having a wedding - dark rose pink petals down off the neighbour's cherry tree overnight and forming a very nice carpet..
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Culardoch » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:03 am

Well all I can say is that yuse yins must have the best part of the country for friendly folks.

Today's route of of 35k was on side roads, tracks and narrow paths. I lost count eventually but must have met/passed about twelve cyclists, ten dog walkers and about the same number of walkers/runners. Now I normally wave, say hello or in dire circumstances give a nod. Just how many of the above reciprocated? Answer ONE! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Reminded me of an episode of the Walking Dead! :sick: :sick:
Culardoch

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland