walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not Meikle but Certainly a Bin

Not Meikle but Certainly a Bin

Postby Craiging619 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Date walked: 02/04/2020

Time taken: 0.1 hours

Distance: 0.1 km

Ascent: 5m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I hadn't been out for a few days so I decided to go for a walk and get some much-needed fresh air. Also - crucially - the blue bin needed taking out. After a quick weather check on MWIS I surveyed the scene by peering out the window. Conditions looked good. It could be time to head out to the wilds.

From the picture it can be seen that the route heads steeply downhill at first (down my stairs) then through the living room and kitchen, out past the garden and into the street to my final destination: the corner opposite the sub station. Unfortunately my street is a new build, so doesn't appear on the existing OS mapping yet. I would need to use my route-finding skills to great effect to avoid getting lost, but the absence of low cloud was working in my favour.

I gazed at the route ahead, down a steep staircase. The similarities with the route round the back of The Cobbler were obvious, but the solid carpet made for decent underfoot conditions as I carefully made my way downhill. This route is known as 'The Thirteen Steps', and has caught many walkers unawares in the past, especially on sleepy late-night treks for midnight feasts. I made good progress and was at the bottom of the stairs in no time.

The route now headed round a headland containing several snacks (so often a distraction to hikers on this route), then to the double French doors. The temperature remained comfortable, and conditions were ideal for walking. This seemed a good point to stop and take stock of the conditions ahead. I could see that the windy weather had already knocked over the brown compost / food recycling bin, so great care would be needed as I stepped out into the most exposed part of the route.

I observed the changing underfoot conditions, and decided it could be time for a change of footwear. Something more sensible was needed.

I opened the door, remembering to close it behind me (the local landowner doesn't take kindly to gates / doors being left unlocked, as this could lead to the property's three-year-old running rampage through the fields and frightening other mammals).

Due to recent hygiene warnings from the relevant authorities, and the biting wind, I opted for gloves for the next section. If I were to get lost and stranded, I would have to fend for myself amongst the elements, and we're still in the awkward juncture between winter and spring. Gloves it was.

I stepped out. The path is clearly marked at this point, and led straight to an open gap in the fencing (presumably to be closed off soon by the landowner). I would have to take my chances now, as the weather in this part of the country can turn in five minutes.

I reached the blue cardboard / plastic recycling bin. It's great to see initiatives like this, as some walking routes have far too much litter dropped when it would almost be simpler to bag it and bin it later. Taking the blue bin and emptying the contents of my bag, I pushed the bin through the gap in the fence, out to the most remote part of the walk: the open street.

After checking both ways for traffic, I carefully crossed the street (thankfully the only road crossing on this route) and reached the other side with minimal fuss. The only tricky manoeuvre was getting the bin up over a Bad Step-type kerb onto the pavement, but after a quick struggle, the high point was reached.

Obligatory trig point photo.

I decided to return by the same linear route. There was the option of turning it into a circular walk and heading round to the front door, but following advice from the UK / Scottish Governments it seemed more appropriate to return by the quickest route.

It could be seen that the route headed gently uphill back to the safety of the path from the outward route. The decision to switch footwear halfway through was a wise one, and in relatively little time I was back on the clear path.

The last section was the steepest part of the day, but at least I was now sheltered from the wind and back on familiar ground, returning back uphill to the starting point. I headed round to the Southerly viewpoint just in time to see the last embers of daylight escaping over the horizon.

It may be some time before the OS mapping (and Google Earth) are updated to include this street, so for the time being I will have to draw on this and other walk reports from nearby routes. But the walk was an enjoyable one, taking advantage of the pleasant early-spring evening air (and deserted streets) to do a spot of recycling. Looking forward to using this as a springboard to a more ambitious walk next week, to the corner shop for milk. #SocialDistancing #StayHomeSaveLives
Last edited by Craiging619 on Sun May 09, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:34
Fionas:40   Donalds:42+14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Re: Not Meikle but Certainly a Bin

Postby jacob » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:32 pm

I am sorry man, but with no trippoint selfie, I cannot believe you did this as a solo.
That and the black dog in front of the door doesn't seem real...
I call fake!
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:53 pm

I hate walks with tough finishes so well done!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Panic buying bottled water???????????
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Craiging619 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Panic buying bottled water???????????

Think that’s the co-landowner’s policy to buy the pack of six, even in normal times. And always good to have fluids close to hand for long walks such as this.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Craiging619 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:42 pm

jacob wrote:I am sorry man, but with no trippoint selfie, I cannot believe you did this as a solo.
That and the black dog in front of the door doesn't seem real...
I call fake!

Unfortunately there were no other walkers at the summit to help with a photo. If it’s not a Munro a lot of folk just give it a miss!
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland