walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Central Cairngorms

Central Cairngorms

Postby Benaden887 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 28/08/1993

Time taken: 10.45 hours

Distance: 34 km

Ascent: 1974m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Central Cairngorms

Derry Cairngorm, Beinn Mheadhoin, Beinn a Chaorainn and Beinn Bhreac 28/ 8/ 93 32km 1880m 10.30h

Darren and Sarah having called off, I`m here at the Linn o Dee cp with Robert, for my day shot.. Being that he`s taught me in my 50s how to ski, I feel he`s due a “Jack day”. Gear up and the walk up to Derry lodge takes an hour. Bridge the river and a path winds up thro trees. A steep pull on the side of teabag gains open hillside with great views over the surrounding hills. Top the ridge at Carn Crom,@ 890m eat and rest. The day is clear and bright not too warm and so far midges free.
Beinn Bhrotain lies across the glen, done with my son, some 3 months ago and here Carn Toul, Carn a Mhaim with Macdui done only two months since. Pick up the sacs, a wee dip and as we climb, the short grass becomes gravel, then stones. Another wee pull shows Lochain Uaine with its craggy walls on our left. Then cross a boulder field and some clever hopping to reach a stony
Derry Cairngorm @ 1155m. We can see the twin humps of Beinn Macdui, Devils Point and a distant Lochnagar. Wow. This is some place and days like these make up for all the crappy ones you`ve had before. Down to “Little and large” the two Etcharchan lochans, here Robert soaks his feet, I return after dropping into the coire for a swift looksee of the Hutchinson refuge hut, now we are good to go. Cross a burn and a path zig zags up the edge of the coire for the figure of eight shaped top, The dried out soil is thin and dusty and raises puffs when walked on. A group of tors here are known as “the Barns of Mheadhoin, awesome stacks of pure granite. They can also be found on Ben Avon, Beinn a Bhuird and Bynack More. It is a short walk out to the highest, where an easy climb up the back gives both of us Beinn Mheadhoin@ 1182m. A wee break here, then time to go. Drop steeply SE into the Lairig an laoigh, then an easier 100m climb onto the shoulder then top of Beinn a Chaorainn @ 1082m. Rest at the large well stacked cairn before a brisk walk across the Moine Bhealaih finds the two tops of Beinn Bhreac @931m. We trek down over Meallan lundain for a path that leads to the river and the car park.
Seen enroute, no folk after Derry lodge, plenty bird life, little midges until the cp trees, a good day out, good company and four Munros.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland