walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The days before lockdown: Glenbuchat Ridge

The days before lockdown: Glenbuchat Ridge

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:18 pm

Route description: Glenbuchat and Creag an Sgòr, near Strathdon

Date walked: 18/03/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 492m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glenbuchat Ridge is technically a part of The Buck - an outlying line of tops on the northern side of the picturesque Glen Buchat. It can be added to the full traverse of all tops of the Buck, but this option requires two cars or a friendly driver waiting at the opposite end. We preferred to explore the southern tops in a separate outing, for practical reasons.
Even though this ridge features as a walk on Walkhighlands, it is not a very popular route, maybe because it doesn't contain any important listed summits (and who bags TUMPs and HUMPs?...). Such a shame as this half day ridge walk offers fantastic views in all directions and one of the tops features a lovely little tor, like a mini version of those so characteristic for the Cairngorms.
Our walk is a prolonged version of the WH route, we added Creag an Sgor and returned via Belnacraig (the road along the Water of Buchat):

Track_GLEN BUCHAT 17KM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We started from the car park for Glenbuchat Castle (still closed :( ), crossed the Bridge of Buchat and took the quiet minor road up the glen. Weather was lovely but very windy. Not a day for big Munro adventures, but good enough for Graham height.
2020-03-18 glen buchat 002.JPG

Little Firbriggs Hill, our first target:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 008.JPG

The track to Blackhillock Farm:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 014.JPG

Once past the farm, we continued on a minor track uphill:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 015.JPG

Views were nice from the very start, especially back south-west to the forest-covered slopes of Ben Newe:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 018.JPG

IMPORTANT: a new fenced off enclosure has been recently built here and it is no longer possible to follow the track directly to the col. The walkers path was redirected around the enclosure (along the fence), with a stile provided for crossing at the start of the detour. We didn't see any animals inside the new enclosure so I don't know what it is for (Kevin suggested wild boar perhaps?).
The detour:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 083.JPG

They definitely don't want you to cross this gate!
2020-03-18 glen buchat 087.JPG

Above the fenced off area, we returned to the main track and continued walking up to the ridge, wit occasional breaks for some... gate swinging :lol: :lol: :lol:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 094.JPG

Lookinh south-east to Millhuie Hill and Glen Kindie:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 098.JPG

The first glimpse of The Buck:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 100.JPG

As soon as we got to the ridge proper, we were almost swept off our feet by the gusty wind, but the ATV track over the minor tops looked so inviting that we didn't really care about the conditions. As long as we could still stand upright, we'd get there! :lol:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 101.JPG

Ben Newe (left) and the distant Cairngorms, still covered in snow:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 106.JPG

Panther speechless. After weeks of horrible weather, at last a sunny day! I felt liberated. Little did I know that our days of spring freedom were not to last long...
2020-03-18 glen buchat 107.JPG

The track took us over Meikle Firbriggs Hill and Clachmaddy Hill, to the top of Creag an Eunan. Here, I posed as close to the summit cairn as possible, without having to climb over the fence :lol: :lol: The Buck behind me:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 118.JPG

The previous spring, when we traversed the northern part of the ridge, we got as far as White Knowe, but the two TUMP summits on this ridge are Creag an Eunan and Creag an Sgor. The latter is the most interesting top on this side of the ridge:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 119.JPG

Ben Rinnes just peeking from behind the wind turbines on Cook's Cairn:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 122.JPG

The distant Bennachie:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 127.JPG

From Creag an Eunan we traversed to Creag an Sgor on easy, heathery ground (the track skips this top but we didn't intend to!). Of course, I was first to investigate the tors!
2020-03-18 glen buchat 022.JPG

Not really big enough for proper scrambling but I still loved a silly pose :lol:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 026.JPG

The wind picked up again...
2020-03-18 glen buchat 033.JPG

But Kevin still managed some decent photos. This particular rock reminds me of a giant head:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 025.JPG

View north-west from the summit:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 036.JPG

Looking back to Creag an Eunan:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 041.JPG

After a quick tea break, we descended a short distance to pick the ATV track below the summit. This track can be then followed down towards White Hill, where it joins a better landrover track, descending to the tarmac road in the glen.
A glimpse back at the tors of Creag an Sgor:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 055.JPG

Panorama of the ridge seen from below:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 063.JPG

The landrover track near Upperton Farm:
2020-03-18 glen buchat 065.JPG

Once down on the tarmac road, we enjoyed a sunny stroll back to the car. The wind was much less aggressive down in the glen and we felt the first touch of spring. It's so frustrating, writing about it today, but back then we had high hopes for another jolly good year on the hills!
2020-03-18 glen buchat 069.JPG

Glenbuchat Castle still in renovation. I hope it will open again at some point (in the current climate probably later than sooner, sadly).
2020-03-18 glen buchat 077.JPG

I think Glenbuchat Ridge is as good as the rolling hills get, especially without "ticking off" a listed summit. We like the whole area of Strathdon and before the lockdown, we had plans to repeat Morven and Mona Gowan via a new route. Well, it is still something to look forward to in the future. Whatever the future brings.

My next story will take us high up onto the Cairngorm plateau. Prepare for some pure winter wonderland! :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland