walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ding dong, Avon calling. A bike/hike in the Cairngorms.

Ding dong, Avon calling. A bike/hike in the Cairngorms.

Postby mamoset » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Ben Avon

Date walked: 29/08/2018

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 38.5 km

Ascent: 1280m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

These were the last 2 Munro's for me East of the A9, which was a bit of a shame, as I enjoy walking in the Cairngorms. Still, i'm sure i'll find a reason to re-visit in the future :wink: Due to the overall length of this trip, we decided to bike the 5 miles to Gleann an t-Slugain, thus saving a good couple of hours overall.
P1010205.JPG
Free parking at Slugain ruins.
Most of the ride is on track, but it is easy going virtually the whole way. After locking the bikes up, we headed off into the glen.
P1010209.JPG
The glen.
As usual, the vastness of this area takes your breath away. The track is good for making time and we were soon at the ford below Clach a' Cleirich.
P1010216.JPG
A' Chioch prominent on Beinn a' Bhuird.
P1010217.JPG
Clach a' Cleirich straight ahead.
From the ford, we turned north, up Glas Allt Mor, heading for The Sneck.
P1010228.JPG
Rock formations at The Sneck.
P1010246.JPG
Route up Ben Avon.
P1010251.JPG
Route up Glas Allt Mor.
Turned NE, and headed up the well worn track. The "Barns" are such an usual sight, protruding from the flat barren landscape.
P1010236.JPG
Barns on Ben Avon.
P1010238.JPG
Summit barn of Ben Avon.
As it was nice and dry, we climbed up onto the summit of the barn, and Munro No.1 was conquered.
P1010240.JPG
Summit of Ben Avon (Leabaidh an Daimh Bhuidhe)
We re-traced our steps back to The Sneck, and began the climb, firstly, onto Cnap a' Cleirich.
P1010253.JPG
Pimpled ridge of Stob an t-Sluichd.
P1010233.JPG
Route up Beinn a' Bhuird.
Once over Cnap a' Cleirich, it was simply a long wander over the vast summit plateau of Beinn a' Bhuird north to south to negotiate.
P1010264.JPG
Across the mighty corries of Beinn a' Bhuird.
P1010267.JPG
Beinn a' Bhuird summit.
After leaving the summit, we followed the edge of the corries, heading for South Top.
P1010273.JPG
Coire nan Clach.
P1010276.JPG
Ben Macdui and down to Loch Etchachan.
P1010278.JPG
Distant South Top.
P1010285.JPG
Dubh Lochan.
P1010291.JPG
Lochnagar.
To get to the track the quickest, we made our way down to Carn Fiaclach, before taking the rough route over the moorland.
P1010294.JPG
Route down to Carn Fiaclach.
P1010293.JPG
Glas Maol to Cairnwell.
. Finally got back to the bikes and all that remained was a nice, easy downhill run back to the car. Well, I say easy, except, in true Simo style, he went head over heels off his bike, though thankfully, there was little damage done and he got back on and we arrived back at the car in one piece :lol: :lol: . Another fantastic day in the Cairngorms, and i'd like to think there will be more 8)
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland