walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich from Ardlui - those damn 'Little' Hills!

Ben Vorlich from Ardlui - those damn 'Little' Hills!

Postby kirstyfc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 20/07/2019

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As usual, I’d been checking the weather forecast all week for the weekend to get out climbing and it was looking like a no go. However, I woke up early on the Saturday morning and it was looking good, so I quickly had a look around to see what Munro I could do. I don’t drive, so I had the usual nightmare of seeing what route could fit into the limited West Highland line train times. I had in mind Ben Vorlich, but I read that going from Ardlui train station was a difficult way, but I was in a hurry and wanted to get out. I could have cycled to Inveruglas and went the usual way from there, but upon checking from home, there was no room on my train for my bike. So I went for the difficult way from Inveruglas, getting the 10:30ish train.

The start of the walk is a short way along the road from the train station. It involved walking at the side of the road, which could be dangerous if you’re careless but there’s enough room. I reached the underpass and went under that. As tradition, I never do a walk myself without going the wrong way at least once, and this time I managed to do the circuit completely backwards. Instead of heading left like the instructions said, I went ahead/to the right – so if you plan on using this report for guidance, bear in mind that it’s backwards :)

IMG_20190720_122620.jpg

The underpass

The going was easy enough up through the grass. There aren’t amazing views at this point but it’s not long until it is.

IMG_20190720_133010.jpg

IMG_20190720_133443.jpg

As I got higher I began to see all around. This was a lovely walk along the top towards the peak – lovely views, good tunes on and nice weather.

IMG_20190720_142115.jpg

IMG_20190720_142141.jpg

IMG_20190720_144257.jpg

IMG_20190720_145111.jpg

IMG_20190720_145336.jpg

It didn’t feel like long at all until I reached the peak, which bring great views up Loch Lomond, similar to those from Ben Vane. There were lots of people around who had come up the usual route from Inveruglas – I didn’t see a soul on my way up.

IMG_20190720_150329.jpg

IMG_20190720_150649.jpg

IMG_20190720_150717.jpg

Evidence I was up there :)

I was then tempted to head back in the same direction as it didn’t seem to take long at all, and it would have meant I could definitely get the early train home. But I thought it would be better to explore more, so I headed past the peak and towards the other side. I ended up heading down the clear path to Inveruglas but managed to see where I was going wrong and set about going the right way – towards Little Hills. There didn’t seem to be a path at all so there was lots of almost falling over and scaring sheep.

It soon became clear that the ‘Little’ Hills are not so little – they were a struggle!! Going up and over them seemed like much more trouble than skirting round them but I wanted to stick to the route. The views would have been impressive had I came up this way but I had seen it all on the peak! I was also looking at the time – I had the choice of hurry down and get the early train or stop and relax and have my lunch and have a bit of a wait at the end. I decided to chill out and was feeling better after something to eat.

It was a long way down after the Little Hills and I was getting a bit fed up so I thought, lets just get down as quick as possible without really following the route. This led to me falling off a kind of cliff at one point but I landed in some fern – all good fun :) Eventually I reached the bottom and there was a little pass through some fields of sheep – I hoped I wasn’t trespassing.

IMG_20190720_181210.jpg

I now had an hour left until my train so I went to the Ardlui Hotel for a can of Coke in their wonderful beer garden – which was deserted :)

IMG_20190720_184127.jpg

Such a good spot for a drink

All in all I was pretty happy with my reverse route – I would have struggled mentally to keep it going if I had to start with those Little Hills! A very easy route if done up and down the same way I did – it’s the hills that make it tough. I would like to try the standard route from Inveruglas. Good day!

IMG_20190720_201150.jpg

View of the Arrochar Alps from the train
Last edited by kirstyfc on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirstyfc
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Re: Ben Vorlich from Ardlui - those damn 'Little' Hills!

Postby smudger71 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:32 pm

I have been down those 'little hills' a few times and they are not easy...especially near the bottom. but the views down ben Lomond are pretty nice. I think the route you took is better than the normal slog from inveruglas, even with the improved path.

Cheers for posting brought back some good memories!
smudger71
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   Corbetts:47
Fionas:24   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:11   

Postby Raynor » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:06 pm

Looks like some good camping spots from that side. Another hill I've yet to get a decent view from. I've never had the pleasure of clambering up the little hills but always wondered where the name came from considering they are 800m high. Also well done on going completely the wrong way in perfect visibility. Quite an achievement :lol:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:33 pm

My first attempt on Ben Vorlich was from this side but only got as far as the little hills before being beaten off by a violent thunder storm. So it's good to see what I missed. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby kirstyfc » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 pm

Raynor wrote:Looks like some good camping spots from that side. Another hill I've yet to get a decent view from. I've never had the pleasure of clambering up the little hills but always wondered where the name came from considering they are 800m high. Also well done on going completely the wrong way in perfect visibility. Quite an achievement :lol:

If I see a path any path I'll follow it :)
kirstyfc
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland