walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boris Walk - Three at Muirshiel

Boris Walk - Three at Muirshiel

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:55 pm

Date walked: 24/04/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 499m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2020-04-24_1030 Raw.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another walk accessed from near Hessilhead. I think I've only been to Muirshiel Country Park once before, many years ago, and I have no memory of what it was like then. Left the car in Lochwinnoch and walked up the road to Muirshiel, as there was a sign saying "site closed" at the turn off from the B786. Turned out to be a very pleasant walk through farm land anyway, with virtually no traffic on the road, at least on the walk in. Lots of new born lambs in the fields, some with their umbilical cords still attached. Passed a group of three somewhat older ones, up to mischief. One "baa-d" at me, so I "baa-d" back, next thing we've got an exchange going back and for'd, with the other two joining in on harmonies. Was classic, should have videoed it.

ImageDSC03394 by Al, on Flickr

Towards Hill of Stake
ImageDSC03396 by Al, on Flickr

Caterpillar hitching a ride
ImageDSC03398 by Al, on Flickr

A microlight passed overhead - so weird to be on the flight path for Glasgow Airport and to have no planes all day (well there was one about 3.30). Normally the sky would be thick with their drone. Did see a number of buzzards, silently patrolling their airspace. Walked into Muirshiel proper, past a worker doing some tree planting and along to a waymarked path for Windy Hill. I got excited, momentarily, when I saw the sign - Windy Hill 1000m. A thousand Metres?! Was this a secret Munro hidden away on my doorstep? Sadly, it was 1000m to get to the (316m) hill.

Windy Hill
ImageDSC03399 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03408 by Al, on Flickr

Across the valley the hills did look impressive, with Hill of Stake the prize peak. I shudder to remember our adventures climbing that, one foul December day years ago. Looked an enjoyable prospect currently. The weather was getting really hot - I was regretting not digging out my shorts instead of wearing black Chinos.

Windy Hill was reached via a nice path - sat at the top for a while having lunch and gazing across the water to the hills. Peaceful and quiet - another walker had passed near the summit, but there was no-one else in sight. Although it's hard not to think where else we could have been on a day like today, it was still uplifting to have this scenery around. Continued on to the craggy lump of Craig Minnan, which afforded a scrambling option, even if very short. Could see three electricity pylons on their side, part of the project to remove them which was supposed to have been completed last month...Then over to The Heddles and Craig of Todholes, passing some lizards in the grass, which were moving very rapidly today in the heat.

ImageDSC03400 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03401 by Al, on Flickr

Top of Windy Hill, looking towards Craig Minnan
ImageDSC03402 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03404 by Al, on Flickr

Assessing scrambles..
ImageDSC03406 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03407 by Al, on Flickr

Returned to a good track on the west of Todholes and returned to the visitor centre along the River Calder, which was sorely depleted of water. A nice walk back down the road - busier by now, including a farmer with two unusually friendly Collie dogs on the back of his quad bike. Would have been more than pleasant to sit outside a pub in Lochwinnoch with a cool pint, but that's for the future :wink:

Mossy Bicycle
ImageDSC03409 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC03410 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland