walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Abondoned East Glen Shee 6

Abondoned East Glen Shee 6

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:46 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn an Tuirc

Date walked: 30/05/2019

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 8.8 km

Ascent: 581m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecast did not look great at summit level. Cairnwell pass was fine and not even raining. Parked the car, 2km north of ski centre and followed WH route down to the bridge and then up toward the ascent.

At first the path was a slight gradient, following the side of a burn and a bit boggy.

Eventually turning right, across the hillside before meeting some stalkers paths that twisted toward the summit cone. However, the last 100m or so was pure boulerfield.

I didn't take any pictures as the views were limited, until I hit the summit.
20190530_095132.jpg
Carn An Tuirc summit selfie

20190530_095126.jpg
Carn an Tuirc Cairn

At this point, I was still intent on taking the rest of the round of 6 in the East Glen Shee. However, leaving the summit in East direction, I could not find the path that headed south to the next summit. The visibility was poor and I could not see any landscape that would aid me.

I should have sat down with a map but it seemed obvious the path should be right here. I eventually found a clear track, but it headed north and came from a poor direction to the south, looked more like west.

When I checked the map on return it was not helpful, until I saw on Movescount the exact path clearly marked, Not on OS, or Walkhighlands or View Ranger. Anyhow.......

I decided if I could not navigate to a path 100m away and there were no views, continuing this event would not be satisfying at all, so I simply returned the way I came and went to Braemar for lunch before proceeding to Ballater.

Carn_an_Tuirc_Actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland