walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brilliant Buachie

Brilliant Buachie

Postby Raynor » Sat May 02, 2020 4:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mor), Stob na Broige (Buachaille Etive Mor)

Date walked: 26/06/2017

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few years ago but still fresh in the memory. A truly spectacular hill that is surprisingly straightforward considering how difficult it looks when you drive past it on the A82.

A very early start on a June monday morning saw me heading north hoping to beat the expected crowds. I got parked up at the back of three after a leisurely drive through rannoch moor in the dark, dodging the million or so deer. Just enough time for a quick nap which was really just wriggling about trying to find a comfortable position. By half four I was fed up and it was near enough daylight so I just headed out.

Gloomy Stob Dearg in almost daytime.

DSC_0445.JPG

A good and obvious path leads quickly upwards to the right of the scree.

DSC_0447.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

I noticed some saxifrage and went a bit of a wander through the boulders looking for more alpines.

DSC_0454.JPG

I couldn't find the "path" again, if there even is actually one all the way up, so it turned into an interesting scramble. Merrell boots and wet rocks are not a good combination apparently.

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC_0452.JPG

It was absolutely boiling the whole way up here. No wind at all. A very odd experience on a Munro. By the time I scrambled up to the top of the gully, the views were really opening up and the sun was just starting to burn away the morning cloud.

DSC_0453.JPG

The mountain gets rather pink up here on the final pull to the summit.

DSC_0455.JPG

DSC_0457.JPG

DSC_0458.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG

The views over Rannoch Moor were tremendous.

DSC_0462.JPG

DSC_0464.JPG

DSC_0467.JPG

The south side down to Glen Etive looked a tad steep.

DSC_0468.JPG

As good as the views are from these hills, the real star of this mountain is the ridge walk between Stob Dearg and Stob na Broige.

DSC_0474.JPG

Conditions were absolutely perfect with periods of walking in clouds then suddenly clearing and seeing the ridge ahead appear out of nowhere. I much prefer this to walking in perfect visibility.

DSC_0478.JPG

DSC_0479.JPG

DSC_0484.JPG

DSC_0485.JPG

A few smaller summits are passed.

DSC_0477.JPG

Looking back down the valley between little and big buachie

DSC_0481.JPG

DSC_0482.JPG

No views from Stob na Broiga

DSC_0486.JPG

Getting down from here to the valley floor was somewhat challenging. There are a couple of options but it's pretty slippy and steep. I ended up on my arse a good few times :lol: It looks rather benign in this photo however.

DSC_0490.JPG

The path back to the car parking spot follows a small burn.

DSC_0491.JPG

A final parting shot of a splendid mountain.

DSC_0493.JPG
Raynor
Wanderer

Munros:41   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:4

Re: Brilliant Buachie

Postby RiverSong » Sun May 03, 2020 11:48 am

Enjoyed your photos, they give a real feel for what the walk is like
RiverSong
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland