walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Polskeoch and Bail Hill

Polskeoch and Bail Hill

Postby Craiging619 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Route description: Southern Upland Way 4: St John's Town of Dalry to Sanquhar

Date walked: 14/12/2018

Time taken: 3.35 hours

Distance: 6.7 km

Ascent: 350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Climbed this hill to take some photos for work. It was on the day of our Christmas night out, and also our Christmas jumper day, so while I was almost late for the meal as a result of the hillwalk, I did manage to wear a festive jumper for my 'shift'.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Some surprisingly Highland-ish scenery in the glen to the North (Glen Scaur)

We went a detour to Polskeoch first.

Polskeoch Bothy

The perils of working in winter.

Could be Glencoe! Almost... This glen is a real hidden gem, to the extent that it doesn't even appear to be named on OS.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Headed round to Glen Dalwhat (also not named?) and parked up on the grass at the side for the hillwalk

Simplest instructions ever for a hillwalk: follow the ridiculously steep firebreak to the top. The Fara-esque...

Aha! One of the four Striding Arches constructed around this valley. One is in the valley itself (joined onto a house), one is at Benbrack and the other is at Colt Hill.

The climb was quite uncomfortably steep, but short, and the views were pleasant at the top

Wintry haze over Wether Hill

Well, rather down than up. The ground was uneven here but there were rumblings of a path most of the way.

See, I had a Christmas jumper! For the greatest football team that ever played... 8)

Job done so headed through the Lowther Hills and back to Glasgow
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:34
Fionas:40   Donalds:42+14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland