walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Edge of the (perrmitted) universe 2. Ruaidh Mheall

Edge of the (perrmitted) universe 2. Ruaidh Mheall

Postby past my sell by date » Fri May 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Date walked: 30/04/2020

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 967m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I decided to tackle the second Graham top Ruaidh Mheall straight from St. Fillans keeping just East of Creag Ruadh, as I had been to the "humane" trap at NN 686 286 three times before - see https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67172 and "optimised the route".
NB some of the early pics were taken two weeks earlier when there was more snow
5659.JPG
The humane trap has a very comfortable bench seat in the entrance :lol: :lol:
I headed along the cycle path, up the zig-zag track to the top of the woods (45min) and on to a point just before it bears sharp left, where a rough vehicle track heads R up the hillside.
7931.JPG
Down Loch Earn from just beyond the top of the woods
7934.JPG
A rough vehicle track heads R
7937.JPG
Looking back - the main track heads over into W Glen Tarken
7940.JPG
The rough track heads past another "humane trap, and shortly further up the hill I traversed L into the this valley which provides easy going: The terrain heading directly up the valley from the main track is more difficult
7943.JPG
Looking back to St. Fillans and Ben Vorlich
7949.JPG
at the head of the valley there is a short climb over a heathery watershed which presents no problems
7958.JPG
On the watershed: Creag Ruadh at the back
7952.JPG
Looking up to the "trap" just R of a snowpatch
7952a.jpg
detail
5648.JPG
;
5660.JPG
Pics from the summer when the easy grassy section leading to the trap is more easily seen - the snow patch was almost exactly centre picture
7955.JPG
I reached it in 2 hours 22 :D and after a rest headed somewhere up here
8055.JPG
Looking back over the trap to the way I had come: across the heathery watershed and down the easy valley
7964.JPG
I headed up to a 662m high spot - and WOW! what a view of the Lochan Creige Ruaidhe with the hill behind - a very underrated Grahaml I feel, if you approach it this way
8058.JPG

8062.JPG

7961.JPG
further views of the lochan from different points: it lies in a fold in the hills - and is quite invisible until you are almost on top of it
I headed round to the col at its end , and on towards the 660m heathery lump that can be seen behind: I decided to traverse round the back of it.
8066.JPG
First view of Ruaidh Mheall - on this side a patchwork quilt of muirburn
8067.JPG
A wider view - I needed to get to the low ridge in the centreground
I traversed across and slightly down the slope: it was slow going through deep uneven heather and peat hags :( until i could see the col (ca. 580m) at the head of the valley
8069.JPG
The col from the ridge - I decided to head across the two stony lumps in the middle of the valley, but actually traversed around the L side of the first and stopped for a rest on the second
8070.JPG
Wider view with Meall Daimh on the L
8072.JPG
Another view showing the whole of "my" hill
8079.JPG
From the valley floor looking back the way I had come - the heathery lump is visible at the top
8082.JPG
I headed down and slightly up the valley, but the top part of the burn was a very uninviting looking quagmire :lol: and I had to go another 100m or so to cross :(
There seemed be no path to the top from here so I just pushed on up through the heather which slowly reduced in height :)
8085.JPG
It proved an amazingly heathery hill :( , but at last I reached a flat area where I could see the top - the one on the L: a tiny path led up the last steep section :D
8086.JPG
I could see down to loch Lednock now
8095.JPG
The summit cairn - I had taken around 2 hours 20 from the trap. The second top was quite a distance away, and I couldn't be bothered :( .
8099.JPG
Across Glen Beich
8101.JPG
Zoomed view West through the haze to Stobinian, Ben More and Ben Lui
8107.JPG
I spotted a path through the heather :D :D . It led right down and across the burn where it was narrow and on to the stony lump :D :D
8110.JPG
I stopped to take another pic down Glen Lednock
8079.JPG
I crossed the valley flloor and climbed straight up a grassy ribbon on the far R of this pic.
8113.JPG
At about 550m it levelled out and I was able to make an easy rising traverse L to the notch behind the heathery lump. I was back at the trap in 1 hour 30 :shock: - a vastly better route :D :D
8116.JPG
From the notch, a last look back at Ruaidh Mheall with the Lawers group behind
8119.JPG
Even sunshine lights up my return walk
8122.JPG
A last look back towards the trap
I was back home just over 8 hours after starting - a REALLY enjoyable walk particularly the return
7964.JPG
I leave you with this - perhaps the best view in my part of Perthshire
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Edge of the (perrmitted) universe 2. Ruaidh Mheall

Postby Sgurr » Sun May 10, 2020 10:10 am

Often driven past and thought we would like to get up there. Now I know what it would be like.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gordie12 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:24 am

Puts my 5 mile daily walk to shame :clap: :clap: :clap:

You probably couldn't have timed this better - can't see the ground being that dry very often.

Good to see Loch Lednock again, it's been about 6 years ( :shock: ) since I've been up that way (doing Creag Uchdag from Glen Lednock).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby past my sell by date » Wed May 13, 2020 10:19 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Puts my 5 mile daily walk to shame :clap: :clap: :clap:

You probably couldn't have timed this better - can't see the ground being that dry very often.

Good to see Loch Lednock again, it's been about 6 years ( :shock: ) since I've been up that way (doing Creag Uchdag from Glen Lednock).

I think the dry weather was much more important on my previous (Meall Daimh) walk. This was mostly over heather.
From Glen Lednock there is a landrover track to within a km or so of the "humane" trap . and another to the foot of Ruaidh Mheall: you could use these to complete a much shorter circuit and also take in Creag Ruadh which is only an easy 70m from the notch behind the "heathery lump"
5693.JPG
summit of Creag Ruadh
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Wed May 13, 2020 10:30 pm

Sgurr wrote:Often driven past and thought we would like to get up there. Now I know what it would be like.

It's a wonderful wild area - apart from the crowds :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland