walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Edge of the (permitted) Universe 3 Creag Each

Edge of the (permitted) Universe 3 Creag Each

Postby past my sell by date » Mon May 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Each

Date walked: 11/05/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've climbed Creag Each a few times, but I needed somewhere to go, and while walking up the W side of Glen Tarken I'd noticed a new track heading off Left and I decided to see where it went.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I took my usual route through Glen Tarken woods, past Jerusalem , across the bridge over the Glen Tarken burn and up the main track.
3718a.JPG
Jerusalem: the flag that guides lost souls through the reeds here finally gave up the ghost this winter but has been replaced
8125.JPG
Looking up the glen towards the end of the lateral moraine
8128.JPG
Start of the new track - with the burn curving round to the R
8131.JPG
After only a couple of hundred metres it stopped at yet another "humane " trap - this area is full of them, but I've never seen anything inside
8134.JPG
a bit further on a viewing platform - for what I have no idea :lol: :lol:
I carried on up to a fence and followed it North across the burn to a corner where I was able to get over quite easily.
I was in no hurry, so what do next? I decided to follow the burn and explore the little gorge ahead - maybe there would be some scrambling or interesting plants.
8137.JPG
Once upon a time I might have tried to force a way up here - but not any more :( I bailed out up vegetated ledges on the R
8140.JPG

8143.JPG

8146.JPG
There were no more difficulties, but I was happy just to potter
8149.JPG
At the top of the (not very exciting) gorge, I continued up the burn.
This was the one that I warned was full of mossy boulders :lol: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=95256&p=416123#p416123 but it seemed the obvious way up

8152.JPG
A wider view
8153.JPG
Getting close to the foot of the boulder field
8156.JPG
As I had found previously the boulders were very mossy, but in this dry weather easily negotiated
8159.JPG
At the top I headed Right: it's a very elegant cairn - but it's not the top - in fact it isn't even on the right hill :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - I'd forgotten :lol:
However i made my way back across the flat area at the top of the gully and soon reached the real top.
8174.JPG
Looking West, but the views were hazy
8168.JPG
Zoomed
I decided to head due South dropping only about 100m to Meall Reamhar and descend the slopes from there that I had observed previously
8177.JPG
Looking back towards the top
There were a few peat hags on the easy angled part , but it was not too bad. However I had stopped to adjust my boot when a person appeared below me - almost unheard of here - also heading towards Meall Reamhar. I shouted but he didn't hear and by the time I had reached the sharp drop-off he had disappeared.
8180.JPG
I descended a short way SE down a bit of a ridge to a cairn and saw him crossing the burn towards Jerusalem - he was obviously a lot faster than me
The descent from here was quite steep, but on a wide open slope of short grass throughout. Part way down I followed a bit of a track E to reach the fence, descended beside it and managed to cross the big wall - even though the gap I had used just a few weeks earlier had been patched up. I headed straight towards the derelict cottages, crossed another fence by a rather awkward stile and headed back home along the cycle path/old railway.
8183.JPG
Looking back from the bottom to the "big" wall and Meall Reamhar above - the total descent is about 400metres
8184.JPG
On the railway - the cutting leading to the new bridge
8186.JPG
Looking back across the bridge
At this time of the year the railway is an absolute delight - a kaleidoscope of different greens with primroses and bluebells in abundance. :D :D here are some pics - but they don't really do it justice
8189.JPG

8192.JPG

8195.JPG

8198.JPG

8198a.jpg

8201.JPG
Last edited by past my sell by date on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Edge of the (permitted) Universe 3 Creag Each

Postby Gordie12 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm sure you are walking more now under lockdown than you did before :lol: :lol:

From your last 3 reports it looks like there are 3 different ways (from St Fillans) to get in to Glen Tarken so I have a bit of choice when the time comes to get out and about.

Out of curiosity, how far along the old railway line can you get (sadly I'm old enough to have been taken on the railway from Crieff to Comrie by my mother to see my grandparents in Comrie in the early 60's)???
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby past my sell by date » Tue May 19, 2020 10:56 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I'm sure you are walking more now under lockdown than you did before :lol: :lol:

From your last 3 reports it looks like there are 3 different ways (from St Fillans) to get in to Glen Tarken so I have a bit of choice when the time comes to get out and about.

Out of curiosity, how far along the old railway line can you get (sadly I'm old enough to have been taken on the railway from Crieff to Comrie by my mother to see my grandparents in Comrie in the early 60's)???

Hi Gordie
The old railway is now a cycle path all the way from Comrie - and I think soon from Crieff - to Lochearnhead. The quickest way to West Glen Tarken from St. Fillans is the diagonal path through Glen Tarken wood ( start from the Four Seasons) which crosses the Glen Tarken burn on a bridge just beyond Jerusalem. Quicker still is tp drive to the parking place(s) At the foot of the glen.
The other track zigzags rather boringly up through the commercial forest into East Glen Tarken, But then heads North before turning West.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Grisu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:00 am

nice report
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Grisu wrote:nice report

Thank you Grisu - these pics from the eastern end of Loch Earn show the descent in full. This is probably the most direct though may not the most interesting way up this hill
8216.JPG

_8216a.jpg
zoomed
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland