walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Anniversary of battle and Highland piper's brave last stand

Anniversary of battle and Highland piper's brave last stand

Postby dogplodder » Mon May 18, 2020 9:41 pm

Route description: Creagan a' Chaise, Cromdale Hills

Fionas included on this walk: Creagan a' Chaise

Date walked: 17/05/2017

Distance: 16 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Three years ago yesterday I did this walk in the Cromdale hills. No idea why I didn't write it up as it was a great day; but it's good that I didn't as the process of remembering it is therapy to a hill starved soul!

We left the car in the parking area with recycling bins on the west side of the A95 at Cromdale and walked back along the road towards the Haughs Hotel where we turned left. We passed some houses and continued for just over 1km, until we reached a track to the right signed for Lethendry Castle. According to Walkhighlands, on 16th May 1690 (other sources give the date as two weeks earlier) the castle was the centre of a battle when Jacobite soldiers camped near it were attacked by government forces who had forded the Spey by Cromdale Kirk.

Cromdale Kirk where government forces crossed the Spey
IMG_9037c.JPG

Taken by surprise, the Jacobites put up a fight but the odds were against them. However, a thick fog came down the side of the hills and enveloped the outnumbered Jacobites, meaning the government army soon gave up in its pursuit. According to reports, the Highlanders had 400 men killed and taken prisoner, with the remainder escaping to the hills. This meant we were following their escape route very close to the anniversary of the battle. Didn't know this when we planned the walk!

Companions for the day were Moira and Evelyn
IMG_2983-large.JPG

The route took us past birchwoods and farmland, fields that were reassuringly fenced, considering some of their occupants!

A baleful stare from this boy
IMG_2982-large.JPG

Approaching the site of the Battle of Cromdale
IMG_2984-large.JPG

At a junction of tracks we took the one signed for the Piper's Stone, through Lethendry farmyard and round a plantation of Scots pine. A buzzard was flying above the trees making its plaintive cry as we passed.

They're not heading home - just taking photos
IMG_2985-large.JPG

Track skirting Claggersnich Wood (love that name)
IMG_2986-large.JPG

The story goes that Hamish, a wounded Jacobite piper, made it as far as a boulder by two Scots pines where he stood and piped tune after tune to encourage his comrades, until he collapsed and died from his injuries. The two Scots pines beside the boulder are still standing.

Two Scots pines beside the Piper's Stone
IMG_2987-largec.JPG

IMG_2988-large.JPG

At the highest point of the track, directly above the two pines, a path forks off to the right to climb on to the moor, passing a line of grouse butts. It's meant to be boggy, which I don't remember, but maybe it was. This led up to the ridge at a point marked by a remarkably tall cairn. This prominent cairn is the Coronation Cairn, built to commemorate the crowning of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in 1902.

Coronation Cairn
IMG_2989-large.JPG

The continuing path, also known for bogginess
IMG_2990-large.JPG

View back along the ridge and path looks dry here
IMG_2991-large.JPG

Maybe 2017 was a dry spring? I don't remember.

IMG_2993-large.JPG

Zoomed to Ben Rinnes (right of centre)
IMG_2992-large.JPG

It was an easy amble along the ridge, to a final short steep bit up to the summit of Creagan a' Chaise.

Slight stony rise to reach summit
IMG_2997-large.JPG

Once again, in true Cromdale style, a massive cairn at the summit. This magnificent, two-tiered circular cairn is slightly older than the coronation one and was built to mark Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887. Inside the cairn is a visitors book in which you can record your visit. It was so windy at this point we decided not to bother.

Jubilee Cairn at Creagan a' Chaise summit 722m
IMG_2994-large.JPG

Twa wifies at the cairn
18588859_10155238769088788_5378414538535283323_o.jpg

View south to Cairngorms
IMG_2995-largec.JPG

Zoomed to tors of Ben Avon
IMG_2996-largec.JPG

Zoomed to Grantown on Spey
IMG_2998-largec.JPG

To return we retraced our steps, enjoying views over Speyside as we went.

Back at the tall pines where I'd seen the buzzard
IMG_2999-large.JPG

We didn't see any sign of the reindeer herd that frequents the Cromdale hills but on the way down saw some bonny black faced lambs.

In a field of very little grass
IMG_3000-large.JPG

IMG_3001-large.JPG

No more posing - they've had enough
IMG_3002-large.JPG

It was a most enjoyable walk with good views and interesting history thrown in. I don't remember if we stopped for a coffee on the way home but if we did it might have been in Grantown.
Last edited by dogplodder on Thu May 21, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Anniversary of battle and Highland piper's brave last st

Postby past my sell by date » Mon May 18, 2020 11:01 pm

Is that what you call "A load of old bull"? what a splendid fellow :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Is that what you call "A load of old bull"? what a splendid fellow :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was rather splendid and I think he knew it. :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 pm

Despite this battle ending the hopes of the Jacobites for the next 25 years, it didn't stop a song being composed that promoted a different outcome. :lol:

Here's the last verse.

"The loyal Stewarts, with Montrose,
So boldly set upon their foes,
And brought them down with Highland blows
Upon the Haughs of Cromdale.
Of twenty-thousand Cromwell's men,
Five-hundred fled to Aberdeen,
The rest of them lie on the plain,
Upon the Haughs of Cromdale."
dogplodder

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland