walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a Cloud Odhair

Stob a Cloud Odhair

Postby Raynor » Thu May 21, 2020 7:53 am

Munros included on this walk: Stob a'Choire Odhair

Date walked: 14/06/2017

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hardly worthy of a report, however in the interests of procrastination and completeness....

The plan had been to do stob a choire odhair then across the ridge to stob ghabhar with a detour down to coirein lochain. I made it as far as odhar before beating a hasty retreat. One out of three ain't bad....

An all nighter was pulled and an early drive north had me in the victoria bridge car park for 5:45am.

Weather was rubbish with 99.75% chance of no views. It had been bucketing for days and the entire walk was a bog hopping squelch fest.

Following the path along the river, conditions looked rather claggy up ahead.

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0328.JPG

I following the right branch of the path after the wee hut. Yep, it was definitely not looking nice up ahead.

DSC_0329.JPG

The "path" had essentially been turned into a bog. So much so that I found some sundews growing right in the middle of it.

DSC_0330.JPG

DSC_0332.JPG

I was definitely not going to get summit views but the clouds blowing across the bealach made a nice photo as I climbed up to odhair.

DSC_0335.JPG

I disturbed some deer which ran up a 400m sheer hillside in about 20 seconds. Talk about getting put in my place :lol:

I wasn't feeling it today, being sleep deprived and in zombie mode. I was fully in a cloud for most of the walk and was very aware that the path was quickly vanishing into a boulder field at the top and would be very difficult to find again on the way down. I trudged on and came to the now classic scene of a summit cairn within a cloud.

DSC_0337.JPG

I'm not really one for selfies however since I went to the trouble of selecting a rather tremendous hat for the occasion, I thought I'd make an exception.....
Rocking my best wind swept, sleep deprived and lost expression.

DSC_0338.JPG

I was in no mood for map and compass shenanigans so I placed my bag pointing in the direction where the path down was. I couldn't see anything and had absolutely no idea where the other path was onwards to ghabhar so quickly abandoned the idea.

The way down was rather uneventful other than being flagged down by some lost american tourists looking for their accomodation. Seemingly they thought I was an estate worker. That's what happens when you decide to dress like you are hunting deer I suppose :lol:

I was back at the car just after 9. Far from my finest day in the hills but still, always good to get out anyway.
Raynor
Wanderer

Munros:41   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:4

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland