walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian

Bidean nam Bian

Postby stickman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 28/12/2007

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did this the week before Christmas. Absolutely superb clear weather, and no snow.

I've been up the Boo-kle and Aonach before but never Bidean - as you can't see the top from the road it's always been out of mind really.

It was much easier than I expected - big paths like the Lake District really, no scrambling like on the Aonach or steep scree ascent like the Boo-kle. The only bit that was beyond the lakes was coming down into the Lost Valley.

That said, it was a grand day out; fabulous views, attractive ridges, hidden valleys, trees lower down, waterfalls, rocky summits - a bit of everything that we all love about Scotland.
stickman

Re: Bidean nam Bian, Glencoe

Postby canisp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:12 pm

I have just read your post on Bidean, it brings back distant memories, must get out there again. You could have been on Bidean the same day I was on Ceathreamhnan, 19 Dec. The weather was pin sharp to the horizon in all directions. I could make out the Ben easily, and am sure I saw Bidean, but there was a great jumble of hills west of the Ben and I struggled to name most of them. There was not much snow on Ceathreamhnan either, funny even the heights of our peaks were the same.
stickman wrote:Bidean nam Bian route description.

Did this the week before Christmas. Absolutely superb clear weather, and no snow.

I've been up the Boo-kle and Aonach before but never Bidean - as you can't see the top from the road it's always been out of mind really.

It was much easier than I expected - big paths like the Lake District really, no scrambling like on the Aonach or steep scree ascent like the Boo-kle. The only bit that was beyond the lakes was coming down into the Lost Valley.

That said, it was a grand day out; fabulous views, attractive ridges, hidden valleys, trees lower down, waterfalls, rocky summits - a bit of everything that we all love about Scotland.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Grahams:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:196
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Bidean nam Bian, Glencoe

Postby stickman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:33 pm

It was the 19th - what a coincidence. I've never seen Scotland look so beautiful.
stickman

Re: Bidean nam Bian

Postby Nige R » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:58 pm

I did this the day after doing Aonach Eagach way back in 1981, we went up via Beinn Fhada and Sgreamhach.One member of our group bailed out down the Lost Valley - tired after previous day - and raved to us later on about how superb a walk it was. My over-riding memory is the view from the summit of Bidean of literally hundreds of mountains in a magnificent 360 degree panorama and a clear view of the top of the Ben,one of the guys in our party said that we were very lucky to see it. I recall that he said even Skye was visible but as it was my first trip to Scotland I had no idea which one of the myriad of tops they were pointing to.The descent off An't Sron was very steep and I remember thinking how strenuos it must be as an ascent route.
Stob  Coire nan Lochan 2.jpg
This is a view on ascent of Sgreamhach looking across to Stob Coire Nan Lochan, pity I cannot find negatives from my other photos of this day to scan and post.
Nige R

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:39   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland