walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Micro Spikes

Micro Spikes

Postby colll » Fri May 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Date walked: 22/05/2020

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi folks. After suffering a rather heavy fall last year on a steep wet decent in Perthshire, I have been looking at boots with better traction (I have since bought walking poles). I noticed on a YouTube vlog that a walker was carrying micro spikes.
I haven’t heard of these before and they seem appropriate for wet descents, but with little on Google to support my theory.
Could anyone recommend these as appropriate footwear on steep, wet descents so that I can minimise the risk of another fall?
Many thanks, Colin
colll
Munro compleatist

Re: Micro Spikes

Postby CraigReid » Fri May 22, 2020 10:07 pm

I don't think they would help you much at all, they are designed mostly for walking on flat ice. I've not used them on wet ground but once you get to a steep slope on ice the crampons has to come out. The spikes just don't dig in deep enough to get a good grip especially into soft wet grass/mud.
CraigReid
Mountain Walker

Munros:189   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:3

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 pm

Hey

There are designed for snow and ice, at easy angles. They are not designed for wet, and I'm not sure they'd have much effect other than to get clogged up.

Better to have a decent pair of boots, with a good and obvious heel grip, and use trekking pole(s) to help if you want more stability.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:112   Corbetts:20
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:71   Islands:5
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby colll » Sat May 23, 2020 9:00 am

Thanks for the info folks. Much appreciated.
Duly noted and micro spikes removed from the shopping list.
I won’t be walking in snow, so I’ll focus in a good boot heel 👍
colll
Munro compleatist

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 am

I'm on the Ochils a lot with plenty of steep descents, often on short cropped grass. Maybe a dozen years ago I stopped wearing boots for this kind of stuff and swapped into studded fellrunning shoes - initially Walshes, latterly (lots of pairs over time) Inov-8 Mudclaws, which I really like. Another favoured brand is Salomon, but I've never tried those. Anyhow, such things are excellent for grip on steep grassy ground whether wet or dry, and also on scree paths - not so good on wet rock - although what is? I've long since stopped wearing summer boots - I now wear the Mudclaws for everything in summer, only switching to boots when there's a likelihood of ice or firm snow, ie when step-kicking or crampons might come into play.

Fell shoes are a bit of an acquired taste given the lack of ankle support, plus you tend to have to wear them with waterproof socks which are quite expensive (unless you have a couple of sisters who kindly buy you pairs for Christmases and birthdays). A considerable number of people have gone down the studded-shoe route in recent years, though - they're now common to see on a lot of hills (and one gets used to IDing the different brands of stud prints in muddy places), and I know quite a few people who have made the switch and who are never likely to go back to summer boots. Not for everyone however, as I say, but they are great in terms of stopping you falling over.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby dogplodder » Sat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Contrary to what others with more experience than mine are saying, there have been a couple of occasions when I was using microspikes on a light covering of snow further up and not being bothered to take them off found they gave greater stabilty on steep wet grass than I'd normally have had in boots alone. I've never slipped wearing spikes. Main problem with them is the build up of soft snow underneath which requires regular banging off if you don't want to end up several inches taller! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:237   Corbetts:65
Grahams:18   
Sub 2000:28   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Postby john.malley » Sun May 31, 2020 8:01 am

As Dave Hewitt mentions I too rarely wear boots these days preferring fell shoes .. for steep wet grassy or indeed on hard snow you cant beat the same with the addition of metal studs which are permanently fitted into the studs .. magic on steep grass wet or dry, magic on slippy rock, magic on hard neve snow ... heres a link .. have a look https://www.compasspoint-online.co.uk/product-category/mens/mens-footwear/
john.malley
Stravaiging

Munros:167   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Dave McG » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:27 am

Dogplodder, agree with you using microspikes on steep wet grass. We used them last year climbing Boreray (St Kilda) from the east and they made a massive difference.
Dave McG

Munros:271   Corbetts:209
Grahams:194   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:217   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:107   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland