walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From Culloden to Alturlie Point for firth and mountain views

From Culloden to Alturlie Point for firth and mountain views

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 29, 2020 8:40 pm

Route description: Culloden Battlefield and Clava Cairns

Date walked: 06/05/2020

Distance: 10 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is NOT a description of the walk to Culloden Battlefield and the Clava Cairns. I've already done a report on that. The reason I've tagged this on here is it's a route of similar length that starts in Culloden and is a good walk in this area of Inverness. I've been doing variations of it as a dog walk for years and it was close enough to do during lockdown whenever I had to go to the pharmacy or post office. Among some strong contenders this was probably my favourite lockdown walk.

The start is behind the Culloden shops where there is a large parking area. A path leaves the corner of the car park beside the white church and turns left along an avenue of trees (Culloden Avenue). The first few photos were taken on 22nd May, but most were taken on 6th May, which is the date I've given for the walk. It's interesting to see the difference in the trees over that couple of weeks. :D

Path by church
IMG_9368.JPG

Leafy avenue
IMG_9347.JPG

Almost immediately on the left there is a wooden bench decorated with carved animals from Julia Donaldson's Gruffalo books.

IMG_9345.JPG

A Gruffalo....? There's no such thing as a Gruffalo! :shh:
IMG_9346c.JPG

There are more carved figures on trees further along. The avenue goes through a gate before reaching a road that leads to the entrance to the grounds of Culloden House.

IMG_9353.JPG

Culloden House is now a hotel but in 1745 the building was known as Culloden Castle and Prince Charlie is believed to have stayed the night here, before the ill fated battle.

IMG_9357.JPG

Walkers are welcome in the grounds and near the entrance there's a duck pond, so along with the Gruffalo this is a good place to come if you have small children to entertain. When I arrived the gulls were in a flap about a large rat helping himself to something edible, which was presumably intended for the ducks. He scuttled off when the dog and I got too close.

Duck pond
IMG_9355.JPG

After an optional quick look at the pond, return to the gate and follow a path going right from the entrance (as you face it), which leads past a former steading that has been converted into apartments and out on to Barn Church Road.

IMG_9351c.JPG

The route continues by turning left along the road, with the grounds of Culloden House and Culloden Academy on the left. Shortly after the road leaves Culloden and approaches Balloch a path leads off to the left, opposite a minor road on the opposite side. This is the path to take.

Ben Wyvis from the road (6th May)
IMG_9254.JPG

This is a popular tree lined path that runs between fields and is known locally as 'The Hedges'.

IMG_9259c.JPG

Kessock bridge
IMG_9261.JPG

Zoomed to the Strathfarrars
IMG_9258.JPG

The path leads to a junction with a lane where the route turns left and then right round the farm. After the farm it passes an attractive house before reaching the A96 which is busy with fast moving traffic and should be crossed with care, to take the turning signed for Alturlie.

House (March 2018)
IMG_5116.JPG

About to cross rail track (March 2018)
IMG_5117.JPG

View north east (May 2020)
IMG_9262.JPG

Towards Alturlie Point
IMG_9263c.JPG

Towards Kessock bridge
IMG_9264c.JPG

Moray Firth with tide out (March 2018)
IMG_5122.JPG

Moray Firth with tide in (May 2020)
IMG_9269.JPG

Dog or otter?
IMG_9214c.JPG

IMG_9219.JPG

Zoomed to Caley Thistle football stadium and Sgurr na Lapaich beyond
IMG_9270.JPG

Socially distancing Moray Firth swans
IMG_9272.JPG

Over the firth to Avoch
IMG_9275.JPG

Houses at Alturlie Point (March 2018)
IMG_5132c.JPG

View back to Alturlie Point
IMG_9277.JPG

In the 1930s when my father was a boy he used to cycle out to Alturlie Point from his home on Union Road, so he could have a swim. Being here I tried to visualise those times when it was okay for young lads to do that. Changed days now.

IMG_9279.JPG

Road behind houses
IMG_9282c.JPG

Ord Hill on Black Isle
IMG_9284.JPG

Not sure why we need a dual carriageway here :lol:
IMG_9226.JPG

After another careful crossing of the A96 the return is past the house and farm and then a right turn at the T junction on a path that runs at right angles to the 'Hedges' path. This leads to houses where there is a choice of left on grass by the side of the houses or straight on. Either way works fine.

Left or straight on
IMG_9364.JPG

View back to farm from side of houses
IMG_9365.JPG

The more obvious route is straight on
IMG_9363.JPG

This leads to cross roads with a gate ahead.

Left turn here
IMG_9362.JPG

After a short distance this lane comes to a road where the route continues on a minor road opposite, with Duncan Forbes primary school on the left. On the right construction work is going on for flood management and is currently fenced off with no work happening. It looks like a park area with a sump pond will be the result.

Above the construction site is an open grassy area which can be crossed diagonally back to where the car is parked. Or a slightly longer but more interesting route is through the woods behind Culloden House and out by the front drive.

Left turn by Culloden Court to reach woods
IMG_9360.JPG

A path bearing right through the woods leads past a walled garden and comes out in front of the hotel. The drive can be followed round to the entrance and out on to the road that leads to the avenue with the Gruffalo and back to the start.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: From Culloden to Alturlie Point for firth and mountain v

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Sadly the gates to Culloden House are now closed. The owner had warned this would happen if dropping of litter in the grounds continued. Not only that but groups gathering on the lawn and damage to the door of the hotel meant they had no alternative. Another case of the few spoiling it for the many. :thumbdown:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland