walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Lap

Beinn na Lap

Postby ScotFinn65 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:32 am

Route description: Beinn na Lap, from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 04/06/2019

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 573m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had planned to do the circuit of the east side of Loch Treig, an overnight at Ossian Hostel and the west side of Loch Treig twice now and both times thwarted by the weather.

I have booked into the Loch Ossian Hostel on both occassions to break up my journey into 2 managable days, so each time the journey has not been completely wasted. The first time in 2018, I done a curcuit of Loch Ossian and this time I decided to do Beinn na Lap.

Arriving at Roy Bridge, I parked the car opposite the tea room and headed for the railway station. I had planned to park at Fersit and walk over the 3 Munros on the east of loch Treig but the weather was miserable and I decided to suffer some othre time. I had been to Ossian hostel the previous year and must confess that I find it one of the most relaxing places I have ever been.

Departing the train, I took the obligatory Train Spotting pictures (I won't share these as I am sure we have all seen those) and headed slowly to the hostel.
20190603_161510.jpg
Looking down Ossian toward Alder

20190603_192325.jpg
Dark Clouds still threatening

The day was pretty much already gone but I wanted to get checked in and walk back to the station restaurant for a meal. I really like the food their and especially the ambience.
20190603_193358.jpg
Picturesque Loch Ossian

20190603_193451.jpg
The Hostel

I dumped my bag, claimed my bunk and headed back to the restaurant, thinking about how I would plan the next day and what to do if I wasn't going to climb any Munros.
20190603_180105.jpg
Station Hotel Dinner

The restaurant is really relaxing place and I had a couple of hours sitting talking to a man that has walked from Dalwhinnie, through the Ben Alder area, taking several Munros and wild camping in awful weather. He was clearly braver than me. I like to think I am a bit outdoorsy but at the same time rather fairweather walker. Still, I thought that would be a great route for some time in the future.

As I walked back to the hostel, the rain came down again and I doubted whether I would be doing any hills in the morning. In the hostel, the handman was having his dinner and we had a chat and I learned more about the surrounding hills. He give giving one young couple directions for Sgor Gaibhre and Carn Dearg circuit. It sounded appealing but I wondered if I would have time to make it before the train was due.

The next morning, I woke to find the weather was clearing slowly and the prospect of a walk before the train in the afternoon became a real possibility. I had not done Beinn na Lap yet but wanted to leave it for the East Treig hills to get a good circuit at some point. However, I thought it would be the best use of my day to do it as an individual and wory about circuits later.

As I was planning the walk, one young lady from the States was thinking about what to do and we ended up deciding to do Beinn na Lap together. This hill is listed as one of the easiest Munros and from mileage and ascent, you can easily see why.

The beginning of the ascent is quite a steep muddy path but it only lasts about 400m ascent and then most of the hard work for the day is done.
20190604_093334.jpg
Loch Ossian and Hostel on ascent to Beinn na Lap

The remainder of the walk is a pleasant ridge at quite a reasaonable gradient an soon the summit area could be seen.
20190604_102016.jpg
Approach to Beinn na Lap summit

The views were not so clear but a few of the surroundings summits and loch Ossian were providing the scenery for the eye.
20190604_102632.jpg
Views from the summit

I normally have been walking alone, but on this ocassion, the young lady was able to take the summit picture for me, leaving my hands free to try to indicate my Munro count (31) :crazy:
20190604_102522.jpg
Beinn na Lap Summit Cairn

The return journy to the hostel was a very easy and fast descent. No issues and challenges. The total kms was 8km and ascent was only 573m, making this a very achievable Munro even for those non-baggers, time being only 3 hours. The full round trip from the station is a little over 10kms.
20190604_155001.jpg
The road home

Ben_na_Lap_Actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland