walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fine afternoon on Ben Klibreck

Fine afternoon on Ben Klibreck

Postby Pastychomper » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 28/07/2008

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1213m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first introduction to Ben Klibreck, around 12 years ago. The description and route are from memory - I'm sure about the start and finish but less sure about where we left the ridge.

It was a dry day but started cloudy. On the way we stopped to photograph Loch Loyal and my brother commented to another tourist that he was hoping for the weather to warm up.
He replied something like, "Yes, but not too much. Otherwise it'll be Greece, not Scotland."
Wise words.
Jul015.jpg
Loch Loyal

We parked somewhere north of the Crask Inn and set off along a bulldozed track, becoming acquainted with the local wildlife on the way.
Jul027.jpg
One of the more benign inhabitants
Most of said wildlife consisted of midges, cloud upon cloud of them, and when they found that some areas of my skin were covered in cloth, they called in the cavalry in the form of clegs. Or keds. Or small, fast vampires.

Eventually we started up the first slope and the insects started to thin out.
Jul033.jpg
The clouds were also clearing by now.
It took a while to get rid of them entirely.
Jul036.jpg
Action shot

The top was mercifully clear, and there weren't many clouds either.
Jul055.jpg
At the top
Jul056.jpg
N - Loch Naver, Ben Loyal
Jul051.jpg
NE
Jul052.jpg
E - Loch Choire, Ben Armine
Jul053.jpg
SE
Jul054.jpg
SSE
Jul045.jpg
SSW
Jul047.jpg
W ish
Jul049.jpg
NW, and a distant outline of Hope

I understand the trig point was damaged some time later. I didn't get a picture of the whole thing, but here's a moth on one side...
Jul044.jpg
Trig moth

...and the benchmark.
Jul057.jpg

This was on the way down, the fireplace and part of the chimney still intact.
Jul059.jpg
Ruin

Jul065.jpg
Going down

Jul067.jpg
Past a burn or three...
Jul069.jpg
...and on to Bealach Easach.

Jul073.jpg
Looking back from Bealach Easach
Jul074.jpg
Back along the track

The sun was going down and there was a dense cloud of midges centred around a group of Highland cattle. We gave them a wide berth to avoid the worst of the midges.
Jul076.jpg
Midge attractants
Jul077.jpg
Looking back at my first Munro

We hit the road just south of the Inn.
Route is approximate.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland