walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back on the hills at last - Cochno Hill and Meikle Bin

Back on the hills at last - Cochno Hill and Meikle Bin

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:03 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 07/06/2020

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 390m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 30th May: Cochno Hill - 2km, 100m ascent, 1 hour (plus a 23 mile bike ride to get there and back)

Finally some relaxation in the lockdown restrictions had come around...conveniently timed with Jackie's fitness increasing back to a reasonable level after a rather nasty bout of Coronavirus in March/April. To be honest, I doubt either of these excursions would have been stretching the restrictions earlier in the year as they barely count as hillwalking and are both pretty local. Indeed I had cycled past the start points for these and other local walks numerous times over the weeks. However it was upsetting enough for Jackie to keep seeing me disappear out on the bike for routes she had no strength to even attempt, so I wasn't going to make her even more jealous by going up some hills as well!

First up was more of a trip to have a picnic in a nice spot than any real effort at walking. We cycled out to Duntocher via Bearsden, finally escaping the busy traffic on Cochno Road (lovely and quiet, and feeling a long way from the city). At the edge of the Cochno estate, we headed up the track by the Loch Humphrey Burn. On our last visit a year ago, we had walked up here, but now Jackie had a bike with slightly wider tyres, it was easy enough to pedal most of the way up to the reservoir. Plenty of people about - the reservoir itself appeared to be a popular place for groups of teenagers to congregate.

Cycle map

The last section is very scenic with some nice waterfalls. We ditched the bikes at the pumphouse before the final steepening and walked the last minute up to the dam.

Heading up to Greenside Reservoir

Track to Greenside Reservoir

Loch Humphrey Burn

We had a choice of directions here - around the dam itself there were quite a few groups, but we knew that a couple of minutes up the hill on either side would be much quieter - maybe we'd get some views of the bigger hills too.

CH.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Greenside Reservoir and The Slacks

Duncolm

Jackie had no intention of walking any distance as the recent flurry of exercise after 2 months of inactivity had woken some of her old injuries, including her dodgy knee. So we headed towards Cochno Hill for 5 minutes and found a nice place for lunch. It was lovely, with the southern Highlands in view as well as the reservoir and the Campsies.

It isn't difficult to get to good viewpoints in Glasgow - cycle a few miles up into the south side and Arrochar and the Trossachs are easy to spot. Some of it is even visible from Queen's Park much more centrally. So I haven't really been without the hills recently, but this was the first time in weeks I felt I was seeing them from somewhere a bit wilder.

Cochno Hill

Duncolm and north to Crianlarach hills

After lunch we looked at the map and realised we were halfway to Cochno Hill, so I easily persuaded Jackie to go the rest of the way. It didn't take long to reach the summit, from where the view was even better. She was a little concerned about her knee on the descent, wearing only trail shoes and not having brought her walking poles along, but we were fine and back at the bikes before too long.

Glasgow and Tinto on the horizon

Jaw Reservoir and the Campsies

Looking back to The Slacks

Ben Lomond to Ben Ledi

We passed many more groups on the way back down to Duntocher - there was probably a party or two up at the reservoir later on in the evening. Just to make a circuit, we went back through Clydebank.

Sunday 7th June: Meikle Bin - 3km, 290m ascent, 1 hour, 40 minutes (plus a 37 mile ride to get there and back)

One week on, and Jackie was keen to push herself a bit more. She had joked about cycling up the Crow Road a couple of weeks earlier (when a 50m ascent would have finished her off), but things had moved on a bit since then, and it turned out she was actually ready to give it a go.

Cycle map

We headed north through Springburn and Bishopbriggs before leaving the city behind and getting to Lennoxtown. From there, the Crow Road is a pretty signicant pass - 250m of fairly well graded ascent across the middle of the Campsies. After the initial steep section out of Lennoxtown, it went extremely well. I had been over a couple of times already during lockdown and back then, the viewpoint carpark 2/3 of the way up had been closed, blocked off by piles of gravel. Today it was open and busy, and we almost hit a cycling traffic jam!

MB.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Kilpatrick Hills from the Campsie Glen viewpoint

Catching up on a traffic jam on the Crow Road (or more likely being overtaken!)

While the more normal route to Meikle Bin starts at the eastern end of the Carron Valley Reservoir, we were intending to take a shortcut through from the Crow Road, saving quite a few miles on the bike. Turning off at the high point on the road to join a forestry track was probably a false economy (as there was more up and down and it was pretty rough), but it was quieter at least.

Forestry track to Meikle Bin

Turning off the main track onto a smaller one, we dumped the bikes in a clearing at the end and headed for Meikle Bin. Although Jackie was in trail shoes again, she had brought her poles this time - probably for the best as our first move was a steep descent down a fire break and an even steeper river bank before crossing the Bin Burn. When I had originally thought of this route a year earlier I had imagined it untrodden, but having seen how much traffic the local hills get, I was now unsurprised to find a faint trodden route.

Bin Burn

River crossings are a thing again!

Holehead

We followed an old fence up along the edge of another plantation before emerging on the usual Meikle Bin route just as it steepens to the summit. This was great, and felt like being on a proper hill. Quite a few people about, but it was nowhere near as busy as we expected. On my last visit the weather had been a bit iffy, so I had only got a faint impression of how good the views were from here, but today they were excellent - particularly NW towards the Crianlarach hills, Ben Lomond and Arrochar. However we could also see right up to the edge of the Angus Hills, down to Galloway and out to Ailsa Craig and Arran. Not bad at all!

Carron Reservoir and the Ochils

Ben Lomond to Ben More

Carron Valley

Cruach Ardrain to Ben Vorlich

Firth of Forth

Perthshire and Ochils

Stronend with Highlands behind

I had considered a circuit over Lecket Hill, but Jackie didn't want to push things too much so preferred a retrace of steps for once. Nice and straightforward descent back to the bikes.

Bit of plane wreckage

Lecket Hill

Heading through the woods

Ride home

We decided that even though we would have to climb back up a bit of the Crow Road, it would be easier to descend to Waterhead Farm than follow the long arm of the forestry track back.

Near Waterhead farm

After a fun descent of the Crow Road, we were back in Lennoxtown, where Jackie was easily persuaded to add a bit more cycling to the day. So we picked up the cycle path to Strathblane and climbed up the short but brutal road to Mugdock Park. An ice cream in Milngavie rounded off a pretty great day.

Cort-ma Law from Strathblane

Dunglass - contains some cool basalt columns

Dumgoyne from Mugdock

Hopefully some more of this sort of thing to follow - I think there is more than sufficient interest remaining in the local hills to keep us occupied until travel restrictions ease a bit further (at which point we hope to head up to my place in Inverness).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Back on the hills at last - Cochno Hill and Meikle Bin

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Looks a good way of salvaging lockdown. We had that sort of thing in mind(though much nearer to home) when we unearthed the bikes...that is until R's encounter with the bollard. Amazing what good views you get from only a slight elevation. Friend's father did Meikle Bin in tacketty boots in the thirties with his s all the way from Springburn, and we still have his account.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:44 am

The yoof have some massive parties at Greenside Reservoir, two or three hundred at a time. Sometimes the police are there for a while keeping an eye on things but they eventually have to give up: the blazing sun melting them as the yoof dip in and out of the reservoir. For that matter, hot days when the yoof are not having raves, I like to have a dip in that place myself. Dog too. I know you have to be wary about reservoirs but that one seems okay, and I stay relatively near to shore. Refreshing as heck though.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:22 pm

Wow, those views! As you say, not bad at all! Good to see that Jackie is really recovering - I'm actually quite envious that she can cycle up those slopes: I'm finding I can't manage hills of that slope even in absolute bottom gear :roll: :( .

Bit disappointed you didn't have a scrambling session on Dunglass, having been properly fortified with ice cream :D .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland