walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Escaping the crowds on the hill of the eels

Escaping the crowds on the hill of the eels

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Route description: Càrn na h-Easgainn, near Moy

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na h-Easgainn

Date walked: 01/06/2020

Distance: 6.25 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day after lockdown restrictions lifted enough to exercise anywhere within a roughly 5 mile radius of home we walked to Dochgarroch and back by the canal. Only problem was it seemed like half of Inverness had the same idea. Social distancing was difficult, specially on the west side where in places the path is narrow and cyclists whizzed past from behind without warning. So for our next outing we headed for a local wee hill and didn't meet a soul apart from a chap in his 4 by 4 who spoke to us from a distance near to the summit.

The last time we were up Carn na h-Easgainn was with Kath Irvine. Kath first contacted me through this site and we subsequently spent some memorable hill days together before her life was tragically cut short on 28th May 2013, when walking alone in Torridon. I think what best sums up Kath is the day she found she had brought two left boots to climb Gairich, insisted we still go ahead and without any complaint wore the two left boots for the rest of the day!

Our first walk with Kath was 20th August 2011. I'll include some photos from that day in memory of her.

DSC02171c-large.jpg

Heather in bloom
DSC02172c-large.jpg

Kath and Moira at top (20th August 2011)
DSC02173-large.jpg

Shooting bothy
DSC02182-largec.jpg

Trying out the facilities
DSC02177-large.jpg

Zoomed to Brin Rock (right) and Stac Gorm (left)
DSC02179c-large.jpg

Faint outline of Moray Firth with Meall Mor on right
DSC02181-large.jpg

Loch Moy
DSC02183-largec.jpg

Back to 2020. We parked just before the gate with the cattle grid where there was ample room for our two cars.

Birch wood ahead
IMG_9468.JPG

Meall Mor on other side of A9
IMG_9469c.JPG

Slight descent to the burn
IMG_9470.JPG

Water level low after a dry April and May
IMG_9497.JPG

Allt na Loinne Moire
IMG_9496.JPG

Wide track
IMG_9471.JPG

Paddling pool for the dog
101605762_10158251217498788_2380618527276007424_o.jpg

I don't know why it's called the hill of the eels but I told Keira to have a good look for eels in that water. She did have a look but she didn't find any.

IMG_9477.JPG

What did you say it was I'm looking for in here?
IMG_9475.JPG

Moira and Keira at top (1st June 2020)
IMG_9479.JPG

My two walking pals
IMG_9480.JPG

From our crowded tow path experience this was bliss. Sitting in sunshine under a perfect blue sky, with a pleasant breeze, no midges and surprisingly good views.... What more could we ask? Even the wind farm didn't look too bad.

Farr wind farm
IMG_9482.JPG

Inverness and Kessock bridge
IMG_9487c.JPG

The only person we encountered was an estate worker in his landrover who called over to ask if we could keep the dog on the lead. I said yes of course, but I'd not seen any signs to that effect. He said there was a sign on the gate at the start which I hadn't noticed and on getting back checked to see. There was an acetate sheet on the gate with information in small print about the area, including the request to keep dogs under close control between April and August, which is grouse nesting season. Other ground nesting birds too but the grouse is the one they're concerned about in preparation for the shooters coming in August.

Shooting bothy
IMG_9490.JPG

Loo with a view
IMG_9489.JPG

Keira's recall is good but I did keep her on the lead all the way down (apart from 5 minutes when I let her into the eel pool to cool off) and she did not disturb any grouse chicks.

Loch Moy and another wind farm
IMG_9494.JPG

In the spirit of avoiding virus transmission we agreed this had been a safer place to come than the canal. But we are in a privileged position to know about quiet places near to home and for those in inner cities it's not been so easy.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland